Author Topic: Living in the Now  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
Re: Living in the Now
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »

Lean into Your Pain

One of the most common obstancles to celebrating the temporary is our avoidance of pain.  We dread pain.  We fear pain.  We do anything to escape pain.  Our culture reinforces our avoidance of pain by assuring us that we can live a painless life.

Advertisements constantly encourage us to believe that life can be pain-free.  There is a remedy and an easy escape from every hurt - novocain from the dentist, anesthesia before the stiches, pain-killers for the headache.  Alcohol or drugs to kill the pain of an awkward social situation or personal crisis.

To live without pain is a myth.  It is possible to live virtually without pain by cutting yourself off from your feelings.  The pain is in you, but the message does not reach your consciousness.  Many people live this way, like walking zombies, rather than allow themselves to feel pain.

To live without pain, however, is to live half-alive, without fullness of life.  This is the unmistakable, clear, unalterable fact.  The more we escape pain, the more it comes back to haunt us in other ways.  When it comes, we are unprepared for it and there is no escape.

I am not proposing that we go about looking for painful experiences - like putting our hand on a hot stove to prove we are alive.  If the pain of having a tooth repaired is too intense, then surely we should have it deadened.  But should we demand novocain every time, before we even know how much it will hurt?  Should we not be able to live with some pain?  The danger is living deadened lives, avoiding the experience of pain at any cost.

We sometimes stuff our mouths beyond our need for nourishment in order to deaden our feelings.  By keeping our attention in our mouths, we can ignore the anxiety signals coming from our insides.

But there is another way to live.  A more satisfying way.  To help you feel into this other way, I'd like to invite you to try a simple experiment.  There is a basic yoga position which helps to dramatize the experience of leaning into pain.  You sit on the floor with both legs extended before you.  You should be wearing loose clothing, no shoes.

You take the right foot and place it inside your left thigh as high up the leg as it will reach.  Then extend both arms high above the head with your thumbs locked together.  Slowly bring the arms forward, reaching for the left foot and bringing the head down toward the left knee.  Unless you are unusually loose, you will probably reach a point where it hurts as you come down.

When you hit that point of pain, concentrate on the precise point of the pain.  Say to yourself, "That's where it hurts - right there."  You may find that you have a tendency to pull back from the pain when you hit it.  That is a life style for many people - retreating from the first hint of pain.  But try this time to lean into the pain, look it in the eye and see what happens.  Why not stop reading now and try it.  When you hit the point of pain, concentrate on it and relax into it.  Take a deep breath and lean a little lower.  It will only take a few minutes to try this, and the rest of the chapter will make more sense to you if you do.

The fascinating discovery of most people trying the simple head-knee pose is that pain is not all that bad.  By concentrating attention on the pain, and by relaxing into it, the pain tends to diminish or disappear.  Leaning into life's pain can also be a life style, and is far more satisfying than the avoidance style.  It requires small doses of plain courage to look pain in the eye, but it prepares you for more serious pain when it comes.  In the meantime, all the energy expended to avoid pain is now available for the business of living.

What many of us do not realize is tht pain and joy run together.  When we cut ourselves off from our pain, we have unwittingly cut ourselves off from joy as well.  To allow yourself to feel pain is to allow yourself to feel.  To prevent pain, you also prevent other feelings because you have blocked off the messages from your body.  You may think you experience joy, but the experience of joy encompasses the whole body, not just the head. 

To celebrate the temporary
Is to lie in bed
A few minutes
When you first wake up
Watching
The sun
Coming through
The window
The reflections
On the ceiling
The colors
In the room
And
Thanking
God
For
Life
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

nichi

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
Happy Birthday,  T!

:-*

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »
p.s., I'm gonna claim a big chunk of energy, I hope, when I perform a warriors task of recapitulation this coming Saturday, my 61st birthday.  Several blocks from our home is an apartment building which was once the old hospital I was born in.  My Mom always spoke of how I was born on the 6th step of the stairs just inside the door, as she straddled the 7th step.  I gonna go back to that "step #6" and ................................

ha ha ha ha ha  !!!!!

Sounds like it could be a re-birth! ;)

Happy Birthday Tommy !!! :)
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 11:13:48 AM »
Quite the different - in advanced shool we rewrite our history. This is possible because our energy isn't there.

I know you can change whatever you want about yourself, and have continually done that, but don't you think, you are able to keep a memory without extending it any energy?
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2007, 11:20:34 AM »
Happy Birthday, T2!

Zammy
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

nichi

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2007, 11:28:01 AM »
Whenever something hurts you and you don't accept it fully as a complete part of your history, you create a gap in your memory; a gap which, when the hurt is strong or repeated many times, becomes occupied by a spirit of trauma.

~~

"Can you tell me what, from your judgment and experience, you consider to be the source of suffering and unhappiness in the world?" A wave of movement went through the audience. I looked around and saw mostly young people, while a few academic-type older men sat in a first row. People looked at one another, waiting to see who would answer, and then I heard Masha's low voice pronounce with a slight giggle, "Is it evil?"

Vladimir looked at her momentarily with the same unusual attantion I noticed in his eyes before, then continued, "When you say 'evil', it is a powerful statement. But this statement also distances you from the source. It's like you cut yourself off, or cut off everything which is good in yourself from the nature of evil, and you think that through that, you can achieve healing and protection.

"In reality, it is vice versa. When you distance yourself from the source of suffering, when you name it as opposite to what you want to be (I assume that you all want to be good, don't you?), you lose a chance to change it. Because it continues to live inside you, as part of you, making you make many of your choices, but you refuse to recognize it, so you remain in ignorant bliss and you continue to suffer.

"We call the source of unhappiness and disease 'trauma'. And we believe that there are live representations of trauma in all of us. In our tradition, we call them 'spirits of trauma.'

The Master of Lucid Dreams
Olga Kharitidi

I know you can change whatever you want about yourself, and have continually done that, but don't you think, you are able to keep a memory without extending it any energy?

I think we can reclaim the energy, and the parts of our spirit which have wandered awry in avoiding the pain, without erasing the memory. The memory can then exist without any inner reaction to it.  And/or, we can take it on a different track, like Jahn suggested, to re-write it, tweak it, and transform it. This might involve changing our assemblage point and our cognitions about it.

For example, "I was raped by a violent, evil man," can change to
"I took myself to the outer limits of victimhood, in exploring this lesson. The rapist was my partner. We contracted at soul level long before we came into the world to act this out together. "
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:34:33 AM by nichi »

nichi

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2007, 11:36:48 AM »
It's not so much that we forget ... instead, the painful memory loses all its power and importance, as we are able to then fully inhabit it and let go....

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »
Is to lie in bed
A few minutes
When you first wake up
Watching
The sun
Coming through
The window
The reflections
On the ceiling
The colors
In the room
And
Thanking
God
For
Life

reminds me of a pic I took one morning...

Offline tommy2

• Pir
  • An opportunity to achieve a great end.
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2007, 05:20:49 PM »
Thanx, Yawl!!  Me an' the WJ gonna check out a new restaurant in town and then come home and let her have her way with me  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:22:26 PM by tommy2 »
t2f

nichi

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »
Y'all geaux, dudes!  :-*

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2007, 01:43:29 AM »
interesting....
a lot to ponder in this sequence.

as you all know, i am into recapping in the traditional way, tho i recognise there are many ways to do this. however i have always felt the description of what is actually happening, in CC's books, were not sufficient. I do suggest we have to look at this ourselves.

you all no doubt know this technique is also essential in Buddhist tradition.

I shuffle the words around myself, trying to understand what is actually going on energetically when I recap, and some comments here are quite relevant.

my experience is that my energy is not so much lost, but fixated - it should be in flow, but at some point, any point, the world freezes me with it. so recapping reclaims the flow, rather than the energy. but then that freezing also has forgetting, so recapping 'unlocks equity' (I have been talking to bank managers this last week).

yet there is much more - when i arise from a recap session, i feel excited and overwhelmed with joy and sadness, at the memories of my life. what strange beings we are. you know, in some of my poojas, i offer the moment 'to memory'. not sure why i do that, but somehow, our memory seems sacred to me. like it's all i have.

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2007, 01:52:44 AM »

I was leading a workshop one day for Roman Catholic priests and nuns who work as campus pastors around the country.  At one point the group was divided into units of five or six, sitting at round tables for discussion.  As I slid my chair up to listen to one group, a young woman was talking about her feeling of emptiness after an enjoyable weekend.  Tears filled her eyes and she put her head down and cried.

As she talked about her emptiness, she mentioned her hesitation to form deep attachments with anyone at the workshop.  She didnt want the pain of giving up another friend.  She told us how she had experienced a great sense of loss as every close friend in her life had died or left her within a brief span of time.  "I have no one left."

It had hurt so much to give up her friends that she couldn't imagine giving up anyone else - even a temporary friend.  She could not celebrate temporary relationships because she feared the pain of losing them.  And so she continued as a lonely, empty person, unable to experience deep joy or deep pain.

That may have been all she could do at that time.  I suspect most of us have gone through similiar periods in our lives.  There are times when our losses seem to accumulate and we feel we must withdraw for awhile into our psychological shells and lick our wounds, protecting ourselves from further pain until our strength returns.

Others seem to live constantly by the same numbing principle which the young woman was experiencing - even when their losses are not so grievous.  They withdraw into emptiness at the approach of pain, living empty lives in their unwillingness to risk the possibility of further pain.  Or any pain at all.

Is to really take time
To taste bread
To give it
Your full attention
For just a few minutes
To smell it
Touch it
To chew it slowly
While it dissolves
In your mouth
To think about bread
And the life it brings
The strength it gives

Jahn

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2007, 03:46:18 AM »

We are not able to change our personality. The personality that are given and can be explained by a birth chart. Also we cannot change our path of Destiny.

A thought, an idea is energy. What you mean is that you can have a memory that is not "infected" or soaked in emotional energy. Of course.

There was a time when I had a fight with my parents and back then; when I started to think about my father I got a knot in my stomach and started to sweat. The situation got more and more strained so I had to act and take a energy fight. The solution was that I had to drag that monster (that my father had become) out of the basement - into the light - and kill it.

Today I have a very relaxed and good relation with my father and I do not get any physical reactions when I think of him.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2007, 09:36:17 AM »
I was leading a workshop one day for Roman Catholic priests and nuns who work as campus pastors around the country...

Is to really take time
To taste bread
To give it
Your full attention
For just a few minutes
To smell it
Touch it
To chew it slowly
While it dissolves
In your mouth
To think about bread
And the life it brings
The strength it gives

Ok, Z...I really think you should come to Mass with me sometime.  ;)

:-* :-* :-*

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »

Ok, Z...I really think you should come to Mass with me sometime.  ;)

:-* :-* :-*

<<<chuckles>>>

I have!  I have!

My annual installments are quite enough, thank you.

z

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk