Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 30876 times)

erik

The most effective measures to tackle climate change aren't discussed
« Reply #2295 on: July 18, 2017, 12:29:35 AM »
https://phys.org/news/2017-07-effective-individual-tackle-climate-discussed.html

The graph shows that the effetcs of having fewer children dwarf all other measures.

Governments and schools are not communicating the most effective ways for individuals to reduce their carbon footprints, according to new research.

Published today in the journal Environmental Research Letters, the study from Lund University, found that the incremental changes advocated by governments may represent a missed opportunity to reduce greenhouse gas emissions beneath the levels needed to prevent 2°C of climate warming. The four actions that most substantially decrease an individual's carbon footprint are: eating a plant-based diet, avoiding air travel, living car-free, and having smaller families.

The research analysed 39 peer reviewed papers, carbon calculators, and government reports to calculate the potential of a range of individual lifestyle choices to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. This comprehensive analysis identifies the actions individuals could take that will have the greatest impact on reducing their greenhouse gas emissions.

Lead author Seth Wynes said: "There are so many factors that affect the climate impact of personal choices, but bringing all these studies side-by-side gives us confidence we've identified actions that make a big difference. Those of us who want to step forward on climate need to know how our actions can have the greatest possible impact. This research is about helping people make more informed choices.

"We found there are four actions that could result in substantial decreases in an individual's carbon footprint: eating a plant-based diet, avoiding air travel, living car free, and having smaller families. For example, living car-free saves about 2.4 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year, while eating a plant-based diet saves 0.8 tonnes of CO2 equivalent a year.

"These actions, therefore, have much greater potential to reduce emissions than commonly promoted strategies like comprehensive recycling (which is 4 times less effective than a plant-based diet) or changing household lightbulbs (8 times less effective)."

The researchers also found that neither Canadian school textbooks nor government resources from the EU, USA, Canada and Australia highlight these actions, instead focussing on incremental changes with much smaller potential to reduce emissions.

Study co-author Kimberly Nicholas said: "We recognize these are deeply personal choices. But we can't ignore the climate effect our lifestyle actually has. Personally, I've found it really positive to make many of these changes. It's especially important for young people establishing lifelong patterns to be aware which choices have the biggest impact. We hope this information sparks discussion and empowers individuals," she concluded.

Jahn

The day I first heard about the Greenhouse effect
« Reply #2296 on: July 20, 2017, 06:19:55 AM »
... was in 1983.
Thanks to my friends from senior high school.
Not that I understood that effect fully back then, but it was at least the first time I ever heard about this climate change that is so urgent to work with these days.

In 1990 we bought a large house on the countryside, a house that was heated with diesel oil. After two years in our new house I brought out the diesel heater and remade the original pan from 1950, to be fueled by firewood. Firewood is climate neutral. So in 1992 - that is 25 years ago - I was doing a significant climate makeover. Noone of you can beat that ... I'm afraid.

If you can't deal with reality, you are in the wrong place. Literally.
Warrior's first skill is to face the hard facts and the world as they are.

You are not ten years after - you are 25 years after - if not 34 years!
The warrior of old will always be ahead of your mind, and far gone when you ask for advice.
High and mighty is the hallmark of a small pity person that wants to nail you in details, while the rest of us mortal souls are soaked in humbleness ...

Sorry, but someone has to say it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:34:27 AM by Jahn »

erik

Wood Is Not a Carbon-Neutral Energy Source
« Reply #2297 on: July 20, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »
Update to the wisdom that wood is carbon-neutral:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/wood-not-carbon-neutral-energy-source

There is no nature-friendly way to burn something.
It could be sustainable, though, if done on a small scale, i.e. by fewer people than burn fossil fuels, wood, etc. presently

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #2298 on: July 20, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
I found that article difficult to understand. Nonetheless, I would assume burning wood on a large scale for power generation would release considerable carbon into the atmosphere. Mitigating technologies aside, you only need to see what happens from a bush fire to know it is enormously polluting.

We use wood for heating and cooking in winter, because it's cheaper - it's easily available in the paddocks. It is also an enjoyable process - cutting and collecting the wood, chopping it up and keeping the fires going. From a shamanic perspective, it is a 'living' approach to warmth and cooking.

I have also read that wood smoke is considerably less toxic to the body than emissions from every other fuel. Still, I do run an air purifier in the house, because I feel wood smoke, of which some does escape into the house, is not that good for the respiratory system.

There are problems. In the town, the air tends to sit, thus often the town is enshrouded in smoke due to the number of wood-fire heaters, which are being phased out in the town due to this problem. Thus pollution problems in town are quite serious.

Another problem, is that the wood fires tend to eventually stain the paint on the walls, and cover everything with a fine ash which has to be cleaned up more than a non-wood-fire house. So there is more work.

I don't burn wood for global warming issues, which I only became aware of in the 1990s. I use wood fires because it is part of my whole approach to living as organically as possible. By organically I mean living close to natural elements, not insulated and isolated from nature.

Jahn

Wood consume C02
« Reply #2299 on: July 21, 2017, 04:53:12 AM »
and when decomposed or burnt the equation of Carbon dioxide is null. This equation does not include transports and processing on large scale, only on the very local level. Say that you cut down and use a tree with leaves that is 50 years old, during that lifetime it has consumed about the equal amount of C02 that is released when burnt.

"where growing trees convert carbon dioxide to woody biomass and decomposing trees release carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere. Whether trees naturally decompose or burn, carbon dioxide is emitted back into the atmosphere, replacing what was just taken out.
 As long as global tree biomass production is at least as fast as wood is burned and it decomposes, the carbon cycle remains in balance; there is no net increase of carbon in the atmosphere.

When fossil fuels are burned, carbon dioxide is added to the atmosphere; most of it cannot be absorbed into the carbon cycle. Because fossil fuels are currently used for harvesting, transporting, and processing woody biomass, there is a small net increase in atmospheric carbon. This amount could be reduced if biofuels were used. This FAQ was adapted from Wood to Energy and used with permission.
"

http://articles.extension.org/pages/43727/is-burning-wood-carbon-neutral

erik

Coral Bleaching On The Great Barrier Reef Is Just A Conspiracy
« Reply #2300 on: July 24, 2017, 03:04:37 AM »
Well, the postmodern post-truth society rages at full throttle.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/07/20/coral-bleaching-on-the-great-barrier-reef-is-just-a-conspiracy-nsfw/
Of course coral bleaching and climate change are real, but in this era of post truth, and the new “normal”, the political arena has turned into a full on circus. Everyday there’s some clown trying to tell us the sky is red and the earth is square when we have our two eyes to see; this is the kind of idiocracy which is putting our climate in danger, and the Great Barrier Reef looks like it might the first big hit job.

Charlatans have been hustling and peddling their snake oils since the beginning of time and reasonable heads and sane adults have been calling them out. But man it sure seems like special interests are in a last ditch effort to save their dying industries, looking at you coal, and they will say absolutely anything to undermine the truth.

Take this gem from Queensland Senator, Malcom Roberts: “the reef is in great shape, it’s as good as it’s ever been, it’s in fantastic shape”.

The Great Barrier Reef just suffered its biggest die off from back-to-back massive bleaching event – something which is clearly evident from aerial surveys – and the acres of dead corals that can be seen all over are irrefutable – and this is what Senator Roberts has to say?

You know, it’s really hard to fix a BIG problem when the people in charge deny there’s anything wrong to begin with. This is a sad state of affairs when we as a society can’t collectively agree on what “the truth” is, and when we rely on pirate-mouthed comedians like Jim Jeffries to tell us what’s really going on.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2301 on: July 27, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
This North Korean thing has been raising its head again.
I still can't see this avoiding violence. The Chinese don't have the leverage that they want to use, and the NK leader is not going to back down.
Bit grim if you ask me.

erik

Fresh statistics from India
« Reply #2302 on: August 02, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »
I had no idea it is getting that cramped there. India will be very soon the most populous country in the world.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/elephants-and-tigers-kill-one-person-every-day-in-india-35989396.html
Around one person has been killed every day for the past three years by roaming tigers or rampaging elephants in India, reflecting a deadly conflict between the country's growing masses and its wildlife.

That breaks down to 426 human deaths in fiscal 2014-15, and 446 killed the following year. The ministry released only a partial count for 2016-17 of 259 killed by elephants up to February of this year, along with 27 killed by tigers through until May.

"Conflict is already one of the biggest conservation challenges," said Belinda Wright, founder of the Wildlife Protection Society of India, based in New Delhi. "In India it is particularly acute because of the high human population." That population of 1.3 billion is still growing, and as it does it is increasingly encroaching into the country's traditional wild spaces and animal sanctuaries, where people compete with wildlife for food and other resources.

The growth of human settlements is often seen as economic development, but for some who are living on the edge of wildlife borders it can come at a high cost. Of the 1,052 lives claimed by elephants in the last three years, many had simply been in the way when the pachyderms wandered out of jungles in search of vegetation and raided farmers' crops. Wildlife experts say these conflicts have increased as elephants increasingly find their usual corridors blocked by roads, railway tracks and factories.

For a while it looked more promising for tigers:
https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/india-reports-nearly-30-rise-in-wild-tiger-population

There were also sceptics:
http://www.vocativ.com/311234/tiger-recovery-called-into-question-by-biologists/

...and the above data shows that sceptics were right: tigers are really pushed to the corner in India. Who would have thought that our planet might become too small.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:17:32 AM by erik »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2303 on: August 03, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »
Population and poaching. Population is a massive problem in both Asia and Africa. Poaching is connected and continues to be a huge problem.
If you are concerned about this, then you should donate to:
https://www.thingreenline.org.au/donate/
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2304 on: August 06, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »
The North Korean situation appears to be worsening. I find it hard to understand why - all sane people believe force is off the table. Yet perhaps there are actions that could precipitate a serious crisis.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2305 on: August 08, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
It appears it was the UN resolution that has caused the upset - on the surface anyway. It is amazing that the US was able to secure the vote of all members of the Security Council. They are targeting minerals and seafood exports from NK, which should cause some difficulties in NK. But China has taken a much more overt position in lecturing NK to give up its nuclear programme. China is petrified that NK will collapse, and millions of refugees will flood into China.

Meanwhile Vietnam is starting its own anti-China agitation with the ASIAN countries, and India and China are engaged in a publicity war over the 'Chicken's Neck' stand-off, which is touted to be at a trigger point for armed conflict, but somehow I doubt that.

The interesting thing, is that despite Trump and all the geopolitical disruptions around the world, underlying business is doing quite well. The international real economy is fairly stable, which has caused my organisation to shift more funds into equities. We had been holding 39% liquid assets, which is extremely high, due to all the uncertainties that happened last year, but we are now bringing that down to a much reduced rate.

I keep searching for the trigger that will send the equity markets into another crash, but despite the anti-democratic politics and the global warming, there doesn't appear to be anything immediately threatening. Even the much hyped robot effect on employment is statistically not showing any indications of actually happening in Australia - people are changing tasks in employment but the level of employment has remained stable over a long period, and only changes due to economic factors.

erik

« Reply #2306 on: August 09, 2017, 04:27:14 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/world/asia/north-korea-japan-missile-south.html

There you are: Japanese think about developing the capability to strike North Korea preemptively.
South Koreans think about deployment of the US tactincal nuclear weapons on their soil and/or building bigger missiles.

However, implementing these measures would take a few years.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2307 on: August 09, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
Yes indeed. This is a ratcheting up the rhetoric, and that is not a very useful thing to be doing. This time it doesn't sound like a bluff for more food.
Something will need to break. I suspect there will be coup in NK.

erik

North Korea
« Reply #2308 on: August 15, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-fg-guam-north-korea-20170814-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/china-bans-north-korea-iron-lead-coal-imports-as-part-of-un-sanctions/2017/08/14/a0ce4cb0-80ca-11e7-82a4-920da1aeb507_story.html?utm_term=.becabef582a9

Kim stood down - at least for now. Whether he was taken aback by the US threats or by Chinese sanctions (and those are really painful) remains unknown. In any case, so far so good.

At the end of the day, those autocrats and dictators are also humans and they can be influenced if the threats aganist them are made real and up close and personal.

erik

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:26:34 PM by erik »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk