Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 30872 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #2310 on: August 17, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
That is interesting.

erik

Swiss Alps falling apart?
« Reply #2311 on: August 27, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41049827
A massive rockslide in Switzerland's Val Bondasca was not a complete surprise. Many parts of Switzerland, two thirds of which is mountainous, are at risk of avalanches and landslides. Communities in the Alps have been protecting themselves against such natural hazards for years.

Before Wednesday's landslide, sensors on the Piz Cenaglo, high above the Bondasca valley, had already shown that the rock mass was moving. That warning triggered the automatic closure of some sections of road. The village of Bondo had a narrow escape. The four million cubic metres (141m cubic feet) of mud and rock which thundered down the mountain ended up just centimetres from people's homes.

That wasn't just luck. Bondo has a concrete barrier to protect it from the full force of a landslide, and the river bed in the Bondasca Valley has been widened in the hope of channelling landslides away from populated areas. But the size of Wednesday's slide was a shock, and some scientists are now warning that the alpine regions can expect more events like this in the future.

The reason is that the high mountains are not as cold as they once were. Marcia Phillips, a permafrost researcher with Switzerland's Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research, has been analysing temperatures all over the Alps.

"We have bore holes at different depths in different terrain and the ones that are in rock walls are showing a distinct warming over the last 10 to 20 years," she explained. That would not be a problem if the rock was simply rock, but the rock in large sections of the Swiss Alps is cracked and fractured - between the layers of rock there are layers of permafrost. Ice in fact, but ice that is not supposed to melt.

"We have a problem if the temperature rises above -1.5C because the permafrost has a stabilising function," Ms Phillips said.
Compounding the weakening permafrost is another phenomenon associated with global warming - Switzerland's glaciers are noticeably retreating.

The glacier at the base of Piz Cenaglo provided additional stability to the rock above it, but that glacier has shrunk in recent years. So precarious had the mountain become that Marcia and her colleagues had given up on borehole testing and instead resorted to remote monitoring.

"It is cracked and unstable up there," she explained, "It was just too dangerous."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: Yet another big bang
« Reply #2312 on: September 03, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
I wonder when Japanese will launch their own nuclear programme.

And South Korea - there are a few nations there that now need to wake up as the umbrella of US military patronage has become highly unreliable.

We are in a new arms race all because of Donald.

erik

« Reply #2313 on: September 03, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »
Indeed, Donald has no small role in it.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2314 on: September 04, 2017, 12:00:24 AM »
Let us know if you hear of military movements building.

erik

US and South Korea
« Reply #2315 on: September 04, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
It looks like the US is considering enhancing South Korea's long-range strike capability:
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/09/04/2017090401289.html

erik

Aung San Suu Kyi
« Reply #2316 on: September 16, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »
Many voices citicise Aung San Suu Kyi for her attitudes towards Rohingya/Rakhine people. It appears that somewere in her mind is a deep conflict between her Burmese-Buddhist identity and the existence of Muslim minority in Burma.

Where is the 'aunty' now?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/13/aung-san-suu-kyi-myanmar-icon-rohingya

She does not like even the name 'Rohingya':
https://www.mmtimes.com/opinion/20839-why-is-daw-aung-san-suu-kyi-ignoring-her-country-s-most-vulnerable-people.html

She is known for being angry even to be interviewed by a Muslim: “No one told me I was going to be interviewed by a Muslim!”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachael-willis-/aung-san-suu-kyis-coming-_b_9617872.html

There are calls sto strip her of her Nobel Peace Prize:
https://www.change.org/p/take-back-aung-san-suu-kyi-s-nobel-peace-prize

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2317 on: September 16, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
We are getting the view that Muslims are not welcome in Burma by anyone in that country.  Not sure where this one is heading.

erik

Las Vegas
« Reply #2318 on: October 03, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
10 rifles
58 killed
500 injured

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/02/us/las-vegas-shooting-live/index.html

More than Irma and Maria killed together in the US.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Las Vegas
« Reply #2319 on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

erik

« Reply #2320 on: October 03, 2017, 04:06:46 PM »
My point is simple - people do more damage to themselves than forces of nature.

Some numbers I have remembered:

Annually some 280,000 people die in the US from various illnesses caused by obesity;
In 2016, there were 59,000 gun crimes in the US that caused 15,000 deaths and 30,000 injuries;
In 2015, terrorists killed in the whole wide world 28,000 and injured 35,000 people;
US Armed forces lost in 10 years in Iraq 4,500 and in Afghanistan some 2,400 soldiers killed.

All Marias and Irmas of this world are quite modest killers in comparison to human beings.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #2321 on: October 03, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
My point is simple - people do more damage to themselves than forces of nature.

Some numbers I have remembered:

Annually some 280,000 people die in the US from various illnesses caused by obesity;
In 2016, there were 59,000 gun crimes in the US that caused 15,000 deaths and 30,000 injuries;
In 2015, tefforists killed in the whole wide world 28,000 and injured 35,000 people;
US Armed forces lost in 10 years in Iraq 4,500 and in Afghanistan some 2,400 soldiers killed.

All Marias and Irmas of this world are quite modest killers in comparison to human beings.

Agreed.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2322 on: October 03, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
Yes, but it's not enough. I was trying to think of a country that murders it's own people so gratuitously, and I could think of none, except perhaps Pakistan. But Pakistan is still a religious/political agenda, whereas in the US there is a sense of nihilism and narcissism - a personality affliction, rather than a wider social movement. Except of course where the nihilism and narcissism is promoted behind a pseudo-religious and political agenda.

So what is it within the American culture that can be identified as the cause of this murderous aberration? Is it one or two specific rogue elements that have crept in, or is it the whole overall cultural identity? Can we separate out the cancerous cells within the culture, or do we condemn the whole thing?

It is hard to believe the whole culture is aberrant, because we can all point to so much inspiration and value emanating from the American adventure - it came as such a relief from the restrained and stagnant European culture. One only has to read Kafka's America to feel the vibe sweeping the world at the initiation of the US adventure. To say nothing of the economic miracle that the transportation of Middle Eastern grains and animals created on the vast fertile planes of America.

So is there a rogue insertion? And if so, what? It would be hard to extract one or two elements from the whole without seeing the supportive connection within.

Let's just say excessive individualism. But if that is so, is it not based on the very core of the American experiment? Some would say, the US could have gone down the cooperative-community channel, as the extensive union movement has indicated. So perhaps the problem is Frederick Hayek, but he was a European! Or perhaps Ayn Rand, but she was Russian!

Is it possible to look at a classical American song or movie, and identify the very element that has fostered these outrageous acts of barbarism?

erik

Some themes of the American culture
« Reply #2323 on: October 04, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »
I have sumbled on these themes:

Pervasive fear. http://time.com/4158007/american-fear-history/
What's the point in all of this? https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/19100/

This may be an urban legend: I have been told many a time that the scientific innovation, research and development, and many other accomplishments that require serious effort and dedication, come from immigrants and "imported brains". Strangely enough, the second or third generation immigrants become less and less willing/interested to do the effort and repeat the achievements of their fathers and mothers.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #2324 on: October 08, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »
How in the hell did this happen? How could it have happened? A man so blindly into his own cleverness and ego that he is willing to destroy the world. Chuckling with his ignorance on his smartphone. How in the hell could this happen.

I'd say I'm apoplectic, but that is too clever in and of itself to convey the gravity. And 'cleverness' is how we got here. The glorious age of the selfie. </requiem>
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk