Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 31155 times)

erik

Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #630 on: October 07, 2008, 03:45:47 AM »
Yes, I guessed that Swed would be hard to knock over, Sweden has such a state involvement in business! The stuff I heard today was from some financial insiders. They warned about potential liquidity crisis in Swed and it controls over 50% of market here. Craiky, these guys are amazing - they tried to get me to invest into US for two years (and it was the next day after Lehmann went down!)! Stunning nerve they have! Sheer admiration to these money-stalkers! :)

erik

« Reply #631 on: October 07, 2008, 03:54:03 AM »
Whoa, rollercoaster is in full speed!
Russian markets went down 20% (!!!) today, and the oil price dropped below $90/barrel. Jesus, these guys will suffer!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:55:43 AM by 829th »

Jahn

« Reply #632 on: October 07, 2008, 04:23:57 AM »
Yes, I guessed that Swed would be hard to knock over, Sweden has such a state involvement in business! The stuff I heard today was from some financial insiders. They warned about potential liquidity crisis in Swed and it controls over 50% of market here. Craiky, these guys are amazing - they tried to get me to invest into US for two years (and it was the next day after Lehmann went down!)! Stunning nerve they have! Sheer admiration to these money-stalkers! :)

You are a bit wrong about "state involvement in business", it depends on what area we study. What we have is a security against banks going bankruptcy, as I wrote about in some other post one effect of the Finnish-Swedish bank crisis in 1992. Companies work with high integrity.

What we also have regarding loans to households to finance their real estate is a tough examination of the ability to pay the mortgage. The standard has been that those with large loans should be able to handle a interest rate of 2 percent more than the actual rate. This is good now when the rates has raised with more than 2 percent within the last two years.

You mention lehmans, some local government has probably lost significant amount of investments because of the crisis on Wall Street and I know that some local governments had their insurances in AIG. It is like an octupus, and I am afraid that we have not seen the full effects yet.

Jahn

« Reply #633 on: October 07, 2008, 04:43:15 AM »
Whoa, rollercoaster is in full speed!
Russian markets went down 20% (!!!) today, and the oil price dropped below $90/barrel. Jesus, these guys will suffer!

That the oil price will drop is one good thing, but at the same time the USD has become 20 percent more expensive within a few months. There is a lack of dollars. So the oil drops 25 % while the dollar increase 20 % which means that very little happens to the gasoline price for us.

tangerine dream

« Reply #634 on: October 07, 2008, 04:49:05 AM »
That the oil price will drop is one good thing, but at the same time the USD has become 20 percent more expensive within a few months. There is a lack of dollars. So the oil drops 25 % while the dollar increase 20 % which means that very little happens to the gasoline price for us.

I wonder if that changed our gas prices here...

I'll keep an eye open on my way to work. :)

erik

« Reply #635 on: October 07, 2008, 04:55:46 AM »

Yeah, but Russia pretty much has a one-sector economy. Stocks are in free fall and oil gets cheaper...

Jahn

« Reply #636 on: October 07, 2008, 05:02:26 AM »
Yeah, but Russia pretty much has a one-sector economy. Stocks are in free fall and oil gets cheaper...

Simply because there is less request for diesel, the wheels has stopped. Very few buy a new car and noone transport goods to companies that doesn't produce. In Russia the drop of 25% per barrel is not affected by the USD because they got heir own oil so the decrease is more pronounced out on the market while we in Sweden has the dollar wall between.

Jahn

« Reply #637 on: October 07, 2008, 05:37:28 AM »
Local news today:
"The Swedish Riksbanks offer of new loans met a rather modest request /.../ and the result indicate that there is no acute situation for the Swedish banks today. That says Annika Winsth, senior analyser at Nordea bank. "If the situation was serious there would have been more orders and the interest rate would have been higher"

I hope that these, under the circumstances good news, can calm down my brother Juhani in Estonia  :).
However, there is also a underlying request from the banks here that the Swedish Riksbank continues to stimulate the system. So it is not over yet.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:44:25 AM by Jamir »

erik

« Reply #638 on: October 07, 2008, 05:38:18 AM »
Not quite sinking yet! :)

Jahn

« Reply #639 on: October 07, 2008, 05:50:55 AM »
Not quite sinking yet! :)

Swedish economy has been very strong the last years and the Government finances are very strong. However, in International recession small countries like Sweden are hit more than for example EU. On the other hand the Euro currency are a burden itself, so today I am happy that we have our own currency. There are som bad situations in Ireland, Spain, the Baltic and even in more countries, I am not fully updated. But as I said we will suffer in the short run much more than those countries that have Euro but we have a better chance to get out of the whole mess ... shit, this is a serious crash!

erik

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:59:52 AM by 829th »

erik

« Reply #641 on: October 07, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »
It appears that Russian markets lost yesterday over US $105 billion. Some say it is on the brink of collapse.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #642 on: October 07, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
I'm not sure we have been in this neck of the woods before.

Exciting.

Jahn

« Reply #643 on: October 08, 2008, 05:28:47 AM »
I'm not sure we have been in this neck of the woods before.

Exciting.

Depends on which perspective one has. :(

Though it was forecasted, it is a misery when it happens.
I Hope it ends with a crash and not a complete collapse. Perhaps some of the the oil schejks could act and encourage the market with buying too? After all they are more solvent than many national banks together. And then we have China, they could at least stimulate the Hang Seng indices in Hong Kong. It is Finance and Properties that goes down the most. China have the money so they have just to start to buy - a great fall does not benefit them either.

Heh, so what is the conclusion in short terms?! US and EU in the knee of oil schejks and China, that is a kind of (after all expected) power swap.

erik

« Reply #644 on: October 08, 2008, 07:22:06 PM »
Whoa! Russians opened their stock market and it fell 12% the first minute! My friend compared the global economy to a monumental pyramid scheme.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk