Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 30911 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #450 on: June 30, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
I heard a program on the Neo-cons, esp the British members, and I found them very interesting - the Bush cohort were probably not the best example of their ideas, but nonetheless, I think they did represent where that movement was headed. That Japanese guy who was the main public figure - he gave me the creeps, and still does, even after he jumped ship. I saw an interview with him recently - I think he may have a new book out - but he refuses to consider the thousands of lives and deaths that just get thrown away while they spruik their grand ideas.

erik

« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
Yes, the Japanese! They have now sacked 250 teachers in Tokyo who tried to talk about crimes Japanese forces have committed in World War II.

In new history book, they totally deny Nanking and other atrocities. As schools have quite a bit of freedom in setting up their ceremonies and curriculum in Japan, this year they played the hymn of Imperial Japanese Army from World War II at graduation in one school. Teachers who refused to stand up got sacked, the headmaster of the school watched them like a hawk.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #452 on: June 30, 2008, 10:26:23 PM »
I remember his name now - Francis Fukuyama

erik

« Reply #453 on: June 30, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »
I remember his name now - Francis Fukuyama

That's the 'end of history'-guy. He is a former Department of State official wrote after the end of Cold War a book that said that after the collapse of Soviet Union the only form of functional society was democracy with liberal market economy. He argued that the whole world would turn into one rather sooner than later as there were no credible alternatives. That moment was to become 'The end of history'.

Now that you said it, I do not wonder that he jumped the wagon of neo-cons. There's not much difference between his ideas and theirs.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:36:36 PM by 829th »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2008, 12:07:03 AM »
he was the intellectual force for the neo-cons, but when the Iraq war went bad he turned traitor (according to them), and said it was all wrong - well not all of it.  idiot.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »

erik

« Reply #456 on: July 02, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
But the simple answer is not necessarily to vote Democrat: "I worry that Barack Obama worries that he won't be trusted by the American people on national security and he may be looking for an action to define himself. So Obama could end up looking a lot like a neocon."

It is easy to make fun of the neocons, but Washington is alive with the concern that they may yet have the last laugh.

That is a good point - as security thinking in the US is so very military-centred and so very threat (read: scare) - driven, Obama will be forced to at least try to look like a man with a six-shooter.

I have been wondering about other parallels between Pax Romana and Pax Americana

Below is a 'politically correct' career pattern of Roman senators (CURSUS HONORUM) from the second century BC.

1. 10 years of military service in cavalry or on the staff of a relative/family friend need to qualify for political office. (In practice this rule may not have been rightly enforced)

2. Age 30: Quaestor (total number of such positions in Republic: 8-12). Duty: financial administration at Rome and in the provinces; acted as second in command to governors

3. Age 36: Aedile (positions: 4). Duty: No military responsibility, but administrative role at Rome; an optional post.

4. Age 39: Praetor (positions: 6). Duty: Judicial function at Rome; commanded provinces not allocated to consuls; usually controlled one legion+allies (5,000 men+), but occasionally larger forces

5. Age 42: Consul (positions: 2). Duty: Most senior executive officers of state; governed larger provinces and given command in all major wars; usually controlled two legions+two allied alae

6. Censor (positions: 2 every 5 years). Duty: No actual military command, but most prestigious magistracy reserved for most distinguished ex-consuls.

All positions were held only for one year (that did not apply to Senat of Republic).

To sum up: you had to be a military man to become politician in later life a rise to high positions. As there were no political parties as we know them in Rome and political/power struggle all was rather family/clan-centred, ancient Rome looks very America-like to me. Regardless of party affiliation, the men like Eisenhower, JFK, Carter, Bush senior, Bush junior, McCain, etc., would all be eligible for consulship and subsequently for senator's seat in Roman Republic...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:09:14 PM by 829th »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #457 on: July 02, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »
I was taken by the comment that they are as sus of Israel as Iran - I didn't know that. It's their ex-left streak coming through.

The author of this article, Peter Hartcher, is a security/politics commentator, and a good commentator - quite balanced.

Offline TIOTIT

• Yogi
« Reply #458 on: July 04, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »
The G.W. Seesaw

"Spin-orbit coupling" to blame; effects could last decades.

A new paper published by the Astronomical Society of Australia is warning of upcoming global cooling due to lessened solar activity.  The study, written by three Australian researchers, has identified what is known as a "spin-orbit coupling" affecting the rotation rate of the sun.  That rotation, in turn, is linked to the intensity of the solar cycle and climate changes here on Earth.

The study's lead author, Ian Wilson, explains further, "[The paper] supports the contention that the level of activity on the Sun will significantly diminish sometime in the next decade and remain low for about 20 - 30 years."   

According to Wilson, the result is a strong, rapid pulse of global cooling, "On each occasion that the Sun has done this in the past the World’s mean temperature has dropped by ~ 1 - 2 C."

A 2 C drop would be twice as large as all the warming the earth has experienced since the start of the industrial era, and would be significant enough to impact global agriculture output.

Earlier this year, astronomers from around the world noted solar activity was suspiciously low; some began predicting global cooling at that time.  Since then, activity has remained far below average, with it now being over two months since a single sunspot has appeared on the surface of the sun.

In May, a team of German climatologists published research stating that, due to "natural effects", global warming would halt for up to 15 years.

The new paper appears in the June issue of PASA, Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #459 on: July 04, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
I have heard about this, and also heard from a climatologist on the radio, who was quite angry at these people for their suggestions this effect would be as great at they are predicting. I haven't heard more since, but it is one to watch - I expect there will be some response from the thousands of scientists grappling with all the complexity of this climate/carbon crises.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #460 on: July 04, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »
Here's my take on the current tittering global economic elephant.

US is obviously in dire straits, although technically they aren't in recession yet, but most commentators seem to think the technical stuff is old hat. Things look grim. (Still, don't forget, the low US dollar is giving a huge boost to US exports.)

Nonetheless, the US economy is huge, and has weathered this kind of downturn before without too much trouble. One thing this time is consumer confidence is very low, but that may just be because of how high it was before the property bubble burst.

The issue that has occupied the minds of many non-US commentators, esp Aust ones, is whether the world economy is going to see the US economy sink with little or no impact on the global scene. If so, this would have global-political consequences, as the US is no longer seen as the power influence in that area it once was.

So in Aust, we watch China, where we sell all our minerals and other resources, which is causing big problems in Aust, as we are getting inflation not from internal factors, but because all this money is pouring in through mining companies, and generally not getting into the pockets of the masses. And the Govt is unable to distribute it's growing surplus because that would increase inflation and mortgage interest rates.

Europe looks to be going from strength to strength, and Asia is taking off like a rocket. China sells most of its product within its own country, and when you add the rest of Asia to that, it really doesn't need the US, except the Chinese have all their money stashed in US equities - they don't want to see the US go down.

So all that looks fine, till you add in the oil price. This is the second wild card, the first being the sub-prime property rupture. Oil prices affect everyone, but it is exacerbating the US recession, which currently expected to be mild, could escalate - eg we have trouble with the big three motor car companies, GMH, Ford and Toyota, with GMH about to go bankrupt. I don't think we have seen the bottom of the US recession yet.

Resources in Aust took a hiding on the stock market a few days ago, precisely because of the oil price - the cost of doing business, as well as everything else, is going through the roof, and the hit on resources is the first sign that the market sees the whole US insulation paradigm as a possible fantasy.

Will oil continue to climb? And what will the US Government do about it? I cannot see them sitting back with all their power, while their own country collapses due to oil - I mean that is a material good, that one you can take with weapons.

The scare over oil is having one good outcome - US is growing very vocal against Israel's intention to bomb Iran. Not sure how much that will affect the Israelis, who see Iran's nuclear ambition as much more than an economic issue. I can't see Israel doing nothing, no matter what. Before or after the US election? Obama recently made some overtures to Israeli gitters about what will happen after the election, but I gather they see Bush as their best buddy in a very long while, and unlikely to be repeated for some time, which may mean they will act sooner than later. But even Bush has the gitters over what an Iranian attack will cause.

This leaves us with the big wild card - the climate. It's impact is unpredictable. But one super blow to a major city, will really test the whole ship's bones, to say nothing of the coming north-hemisphere summer's water and food issues. The UK Guardian has released a suppressed UK Government report showing the bio-fuel industry is to blame for about 80% of the recent rise in global food prices. Suppressed because they didn't want to embarrass the Bush administration which has been placing the effect at 3%.

onward we plod ... into the valley of death, one way or another.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:23:22 PM by Michael »

erik

« Reply #461 on: July 04, 2008, 10:02:56 PM »
I found an interesting comparison outlined by Gwynne Dyer who stated that hollowed out large empires worried about their dwindling authority and prestige have been excessively focused on military effort. He named as examples Roman and British empires.

Interestingly, the US is currently responsible for almost half of world's military spending...while depending itself on excessive influx of money and brains from abroad. The US technical superiority is largely (I'd say primarily) based on brains bought from abroad. Nowadays we see that there simply aren't technical fixes for global problems. Loss of faith in certain technical/modernist world view is just behind the corner...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:05:32 PM by 829th »

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #462 on: July 05, 2008, 12:43:36 AM »
August, 1st
rings a bell to anyone?

I will explain later why I'm asking
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #463 on: July 05, 2008, 04:24:38 AM »
Quote from: ∞ on July 05, 2008, 12:43:36 AM
Quote from: ∞ on July 05, 2008, 12:43:36 AM
August, 1st
rings a bell to anyone?

I will explain later why I'm asking

Yeah... I remember it happened last year

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #464 on: July 05, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
I've just seen the correct details of that Bio-fuel report I mentioned above:

"BIOFUELS have forced global food prices up by 75 per cent - far more than previously estimated - a confidential World Bank report reveals.

The damning, unpublished, assessment is based on the most detailed analysis of the crisis so far, carried out by an internationally respected economist at the global financial body. The figure emphatically contradicts the United States Government's claims that plant-derived fuels contribute less than 3 per cent to food price rises. It will add to pressure on Washington and governments across Europe, which have turned to plant-derived fuels to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and reduce their dependence on imported oil.

Senior development sources believe the report, completed in April, has not been published to avoid embarrassing the US President, George Bush.

"It would put the World Bank in a political hot spot with the White House," one source said on Thursday."

for anyone interested:
Biofuels send food costs soaring: report
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:20:27 PM by Michael »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk