Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 30977 times)

Offline Angela

• Acharya
Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #1005 on: April 27, 2009, 01:26:36 AM »
A flu pandemic ... hmm ... imagine the instantaneous results ... stop the damage being currently done in our environment in a matter of a few weeks. Maybe it's the "Save the Earth" activists. ;)
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Jahn

« Reply #1006 on: April 27, 2009, 01:48:18 AM »

I ask you in all seriousness - prove to me that a fly is less worthy of life than a human.

Banana flies has done a lot for human resarch. We owe them something in return.

tangerine dream

« Reply #1007 on: April 27, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »

Banana flies has done a lot for human resarch. We owe them something in return.

Flies do a lot for the turning of the World.   Decomposition is no small affair.

erik

« Reply #1008 on: April 27, 2009, 02:38:43 AM »
why should I be optimistic?
Krishna wanted the war to happen so a whole pile of earthling people would die - so he could try something new.

Why should I hope for the best?

Naturally I want things to grow and flourish - that is only human.
But when it begins to look like a balls-up, why not opt for replacement instead of repair?

I mean, it's only death - what's so big about that?
I murder rats, mosquitoes, ants, cockroaches, rabbits, foxes, bacteria, white-tailed spiders, silver-fish, moth grubs, white-ants, weeds and viruses of all kinds ... the list goes on - I'm a mass murderer, a serial killer of the worst kind. Is God any different?

I eat lettuce, potatoes, flesh, beans, broccoli, eggs ... the list goes on. You know, I seem to have to murder just to stay alive!

Why not murder the human race and start again?
Hitler had a similar idea - maybe he was right.

dust to dust - is it any wonder I love deserts?
and desserts?

I'm going off to eat another murdered living thing ...

I ask you in all seriousness - prove to me that a fly is less worthy of life than a human.

At last! I've waited for years to hear that...

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #1009 on: April 27, 2009, 03:30:19 AM »
I do it as a practice to avoid killing the creatures, great and small. I will of course scrub bacteria off lol, but its just about being more conscious of being a human being and what it entails.  Its that simple. So I dont mindlessly kill. Its a good mindful practice to save a spider vs squash it.

I cant prove that a fly is more or less worthy of life c ause cant see his or her karma and all she did. Just cause they're gross to us doesnt mean they are actually gross. Just their function in the world to lay maggots and eat rotting corpses and stuff like that.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #1010 on: April 27, 2009, 04:31:53 AM »
There's something fishy in this whole thing, like how they knew it was a pandemic from the get-go. Something's wrong with this picture.

By FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press Writer Frank Jordans, Associated Press Writer   – 14 mins ago

GENEVA – Canada became the third country to confirm human cases of swine flu Sunday as global health officials considered whether to raise the global pandemic alert level.

Nations from New Zealand to France also reported suspected cases and some warned citizens against travel to North America while others planned quarantines, tightened rules on pork imports and tested airline passengers for fevers.

Nova Scotia's chief public health officer, Dr. Robert Strang, said the east coast Canadian province had confirmed four "very mild" cases of swine flu in students ranging in age from 12 to 17 or 18. All are recovering, he said.

"It was acquired in Mexico, brought home and spread," Strang said.

The news follows the World Health Organization's decision Saturday to declare the outbreak first detected in Mexico and the United States a "public health emergency of international concern."

A senior World Health Organization official said the agency's emergency committee will meet for a second time Tuesday to examine the extent to which the virus has spread before deciding whether to increase the pandemic alert beyond phase 3.

The same strain of the A/H1N1 swine flu virus has been detected in several locations in Mexico and the United States, and it appears to be spreading directly from human to human, said Keiji Fukuda, WHO's assistant director-general in charge of health security.

Mexico's health minister says the disease has killed up to 86 people and likely sickened up to 1,400 since April 13. U.S. officials say the virus has been found in New York, California, Texas, Kansas and Ohio, but so far no fatalities have been reported.

Governments including China, Russia and Taiwan began planning to put anyone with symptoms of the deadly virus under quarantine

Others were increasing their screening of pigs and pork imports from the Americas or banning them outright despite health officials' reassurances that it was safe to eat thoroughly cooked pork.

Some nations issued travel warnings for Mexico and the United States.

WHO's emergency committee is still trying to determine exactly how the virus has spread, Fukuda said

"Right now we have cases occurring in a couple of different countries and in multiple locations," he said. "But we also know that in the modern world that cases can simply move around from single locations and not really become established."

Raising the pandemic alert phase could entail issuing specific recommendations to countries on how to halt the disease. So far, WHO has only urged governments to step up their surveillance of suspicious outbreaks.

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan called the outbreak a public health emergency of "pandemic potential" because the virus can pass from human to human.

Her agency was considering whether to issue nonbinding recommendations on travel and trade restrictions, and even border closures. It is up to governments to decide whether to follow the advice.

"Countries are encouraged to do anything that they feel would be a precautionary measure," WHO spokeswoman Aphaluck Bhatiasevi said. "All countries need to enhance their monitoring."

New Zealand said that 10 students who took a school trip to Mexico "likely" had swine flu. Israel said a man who had recently visited Mexico had been hospitalized while authorities try to determine whether he had the disease. French Health Ministry officials said four possible cases of swine flu in two regions are currently under investigation. All recently returned from Mexico.

Spain's Health Ministry said three people who just returned from Mexico were under observation in hospitals in the northern Basque region, in southeastern Albacete and the Mediterranean port city of Valencia.

Hong Kong and Taiwan said visitors who came back from flu-affected areas with fevers would be quarantined. China said anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms within two weeks of arrival from an affected area had to report to authorities. A Russian health agency said any passenger from North America running a fever would be quarantined until the cause of the fever is determined.

Tokyo's Narita airport installed a device to test the temperatures of passengers arriving from Mexico.

Indonesia increased surveillance at all entry points for travelers with flu-like symptoms — using devices at airports that were put in place years ago to monitor for severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, and bird flu. It said it was ready to quarantine suspected victims if necessary.

Hong Kong and South Korea warned against travel to the Mexican capital and three affected provinces. Italy, Poland and Venezuela also advised their citizens to postpone travel to affected areas of Mexico and the United States.

Symptoms of the flu-like illness include a fever of more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees Celsius), body aches, coughing, a sore throat, respiratory congestion and, in some cases, vomiting and diarrhea.

The virus is usually contracted through direct contact with pigs, but Joseph Domenech, chief of animal health service at U.N. Food and Agriculture Agency in Rome, said all indications were that the virus is being spread through human-to-human transmission.

No vaccine specifically protects against swine flu, and it is unclear how much protection current human flu vaccines might offer.

Russia banned the import of meat products from Mexico, California, Texas and Kansas. South Korea said it would increase the number of its influenza virus checks on pork products from Mexico and the U.S.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #1011 on: April 27, 2009, 04:54:54 AM »
Makes you wonder if its a good idea to avoid eating pork.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #1012 on: April 27, 2009, 08:02:05 AM »
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/viewpoints/articles/2008/08/17/20080817vip-gober0817.html

Global warming aside, fresh water dwindling2 commentsby Patricia Gober - Aug. 17, 2008 12:00 AM

Arizona State University

According to a study published in the July 14, 2000, issue of Science, one-third of the world's population is water-stressed, with 8 percent classified as severely water-stressed, including the western United States and northern Mexico, South America, India, China, Africa surrounding the Sahara Desert, and southern Africa and Australia.

"Water stress" has profoundly different meanings in developed and developing countries. In Africa and many parts of Asia, it means inadequate water for drinking, sanitation and crops. In emerging economies such as India and China, it translates as an inability to meet the dietary and lifestyle aspirations of a growing middle class.

Water stress in richer nations, and in places such as Phoenix and Las Vegas, means an inability to sustain a growth economy and support lavish oasis-style lifestyles featuring irrigated lawns, outdoor swimming pools, artificial waterfalls and urban lakes.

Per capita water withdrawal and use vary widely according to a country's technological capacity and economic profile, but almost two-thirds of all water withdrawn from Earth's rivers and streams is used for agriculture. Agriculture accounts for 85 percent of "consumptive uses" overall: water that is evaporated, transpired by plants, incorporated into crops, or consumed by humans or livestock. Domestic households use an additional 10 percent, industry uses 20 percent, and nearly 4 percent is lost from evaporation at reservoirs.

The problem of water stress has other facets, as well, such as the often-overlooked environmental needs of plants, animals and natural landscapes, or the flow of "virtual water" contained in trade goods. It takes 57 gallons of water to produce a pound of corn and 855 gallons of water to produce a pound of corn-fed beef, meaning that exporting corn and beef is equivalent to exporting water. World trade can therefore be a mechanism to exacerbate or relieve water stress.

Water stressors

Future water demand, with or without climate change, will grow substantially.

According to the Population Reference Bureau, the world will grow by 6.6 million to 8 million by 2025, and by up to 9.3 million in 2050, with nearly all growth occurring in developing countries lacking capacity to increase water supplies or improve delivery.

The world is also rapidly urbanizing, creating additional stress by concentrating demand in small areas. Currently, the developed world is more than 70 percent urbanized, whereas less than 40 percent of the population of Africa and Asia is urban. However, 50 percent of Africans and Asians and 60 percent of the world will live in urban areas by 2030.

As needs grow, cities will intensify aquifer drawdown and divert more distant surface-water flows, leading to potential conflicts between sectors, people, regions and countries. One need only consider the approximately 2 million people displaced by China's Three Gorges Dam or the depleting aquifer that Israel currently shares with its neighbors to see the potential outcomes of such shifts.

The rising middle class in many developing countries also stresses water supplies by demanding better diets and urban lifestyles, although the overall relationship between economic development and water demand remains controversial because the efficiency associated with higher levels of development and technology can also reduce water use.

Climate change has the potential to alter both water supply and demand. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's Fourth Assessment report in 2007, increasing temperatures suggest increased evaporation and decreased stream flows, as well as rising seas that could contaminate freshwater estuaries and groundwater resources. Increasingly variable precipitation will likely mean more frequent high-intensity droughts and floods and less available rainfall in arid and semiarid regions, including Arizona.

The energy-water nexus

Water and energy are closely intertwined, a relationship that is often overlooked. Water provides the steam driving nuclear turbines. It cools thermal plants and powers hydroelectricity. Concurrently, loads of energy go toward desalinating, pumping and moving water. Producing 1 kilowatt of electricity requires an estimated 36 to 53 gallons of water, depending on whether fossil fuel or nuclear plants are used.

Large-scale desalination plants require substantial amounts of energy and specialized, expensive infrastructure, making them accessible for Middle Eastern countries with large energy reserves - Saudi Arabia's desalination plants account for about 24 percent of total world capacity - but non-viable for places that are poor, deep in the interior or at high elevation. Unfortunately, many of the world's most severe water problems occur in such places.

The water-energy relationship limits the usefulness of high-energy solutions in addressing climate-induced water shortages. It also significantly expands and alters the climate-change debate. We have long recognized that energy is a global resource, and it is now becoming clear that water, too, is global. Rich countries, trading virtual water and using energy to solve water-shortage problems, may accentuate global warming and water stress in poor countries.

Politics of water

Water stress and competition are among the oldest causes of conflict in human history. The Los Angeles aqueduct/pipeline bombings from 1907 to 1913 (an effort to prevent diversions of water from the Owens Valley) and the Palestinian National Liberation Movement's attacks on Israeli diversion pumps in 1965 are but two modern examples.

Dams can lead to destabilizing population displacements, particularly among poor and indigenous populations, and international tensions. Ten million to 60 million people have been displaced by dams in China, and, closer to home, damming the Colorado River has exacerbated water-management conflicts between Mexico and the United States.

Recent conflicts over water have focused on perceived inequities associated with water development, and for the 1 billion people who lack access to safe drinking water and the 2.4 billion who lack adequate sanitation, climate-induced water stress may well devolve into humanitarian crises and mass population displacements in the future.

Final thoughts

Water resources are in crisis, with or without climate change, because, barring unforeseen technological advances in desalination, Earth's freshwater supply is limited and geographically variable.

Pressure upon it, already increasing over the past 50 years because of rapid population growth, urbanization, globalization, extreme poverty and woeful governance, will only increase with global climate change. Meanwhile, easy-fix technological solutions, with their high energy requirements, are not affordable for poor countries and may even exacerbate global warming.

Patricia Gober is a professor of geographical sciences and sustainability at Arizona State University and co-director of the Global Institute of Sustainability's Decision Center for a Desert City, providing research and education focused on water- management decisions in central Arizona. For more information, visit: dcdc.asu.edu.

tangerine dream

« Reply #1013 on: April 27, 2009, 08:06:40 AM »
Makes you wonder if its a good idea to avoid eating pork.

Ever since the Willie Pickton story broke in Canada, I've been a little leery of eating Pork.   :o

Ya know, though there is something you CAN do if you really are worried about getting sick from the food you eat.   You can bless your food (and water)  before you put it in your mouth.   Spiritual folks have known this forever, and Indians do this too.  But Scientific evidence now supports the idea that you can actually change the properties of the food you are about to consume by blessing it and or praying to/for it before you ingest it.  Not a bad idea, today.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #1014 on: April 27, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
Not a bad idea at all. My sis and family say grace even in public before eating food and does a small prayer beforehand.

tangerine dream

« Reply #1015 on: April 27, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
Not a bad idea at all. My sis and family say grace even in public before eating food and does a small prayer beforehand.

Eh, that's not exactly what I am talking about, but along the same lines, I guess.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #1016 on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »
Eh, that's not exactly what I am talking about, but along the same lines, I guess.

Well its still a blessing of  the food, they do ask "Dear Lord Bless this food we are about to receive...." like that.

tangerine dream

« Reply #1017 on: April 27, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »
Well its still a blessing of  the food, they do ask "Dear Lord Bless this food we are about to receive...." like that.

I was thinking of doing it yourself, sending energy and positive vibes into your food or water.  I guess asking the 'Lord' to do it would work, too.  Assuming the Lord was listening and willing to do it.  heh
  ;)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #1018 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:28 AM »
There's something fishy in this whole thing, like how they knew it was a pandemic from the get-go.

Answered my own pondering here -- it all goes to how pandemic is defined:

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a pandemic can start when three conditions have been met:

* Emergence of a disease new to a population.
    * Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.
    * Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.

A disease or condition is not a pandemic merely because it is widespread or kills many people; it must also be infectious. For instance, cancer is responsible for many deaths but is not considered a pandemic, because the disease is not infectious or contagious.

Interestingly (and I think this has already been mentioned), this virus is a combination of pig, bird, and human dna.  It's a designer-virus, like the aids virus (which was cow-and-pig dna). Was the designer some mad scientist whose experiment was forgotten, or a bioterrorist, or nature? This is the question. Whether warfare or mad science, it's still nature, though, n'est-ce pas?  (We forget that, as we are part of nature, that our own acts, bizarre and unpleasing though they often are, are nature too. We just have the sociopath's secret malaise -- guilty that we manipulated a thing, seeming to render the outcome unreal.)
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #1019 on: April 28, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »
heard a program this morning on flu viruses.

there are two kinds - seasonal and pandemics.

Seasonal viruses begin in East Asia, and travel to Europe, then North America, or down to Australia. There is enough lead time to get the anti-flu immunisations out, as they know what is coming. But they die in Australia because there is nowhere else to go. So each year's virus is different to the last.

From North America, they travel to South America, but there is a longer lead time again on that, so in South America there is some confusion as to whether to treat with last season's antivirals or this season's. Then they die in South America.

Pandemics can begin anywhere, and they spread not so logically. Seasonal viruses are mostly variations of the last pandemic.

Whatever the origin of this one, it has all the properties of a what they always fear - pigs being closer to humans. Seems this is a mix of bird and swine viruses, mutated with human influenza. Already people are catching it directly from other humans, meaning it has mutated into a pure human adaptation.

the only good thing is that the deaths have so far been only in Mexico, meaning it may not be that big a killer internationally.

Looks like pretty big scare though. Glad I don't hold shares in airline companies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk