Author Topic: Buddhist sayings  (Read 3559 times)

Jahn

Re: Buddhist sayings
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »
is it possible there are different types of knowledge

like the knowledge that leads to such an event

and afterwards

knowledge that comes due to the result of such and event ?

does the moon then become full again ? or the sun ?

or is that not zen

The Moon in the water was a reflection,
No Water - No Moon

runningstream

« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
ok thanks
maybe its all the same

Jahn

« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:11 AM »
ok thanks
maybe its all the same

What is the same, you reflecting something?

runningstream

« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2015, 10:04:14 AM »
yeah zen teachings that try to speak to people

runningstream

« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »
whats the point of undoing anything

id prefer to move within it whilst outside it

if the membrane breaks and infinity floods the chambers

no inside no outside

yet the cohesion remains

there will be laws that govern what is reflected

why is it that buddha is represented as golden ?

i have lots of questions lots of experiences too

whats the point of zen ?

no point ?

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: In my Store - Everything is Best
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
31.   Everything Is Best 

When Banzan was walking through a market he overheard a conversation between a butcher and his customer.

"Give me the best piece of meat you have," said the customer.

"Everything in my shop is the best," replied the butcher. "You cannot find here any piece of meat that is not the best."

At these words Banzan became enlightened.

Yes I remember this one. Good one.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Jahn

« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »
i have lots of questions lots of experiences too

whats the point of zen ?

no point ?

"What Are You Doing! What Are You Saying!"

The Zen master Mu-nan had only one successor. His name was Shoju. After Shoju had completed his study of Zen, Mu-nan called him into his room. "I am getting old," he said, "and as far as I know, Shoju, you are the only one who will carry on this teaching. Here is a book. It has been passed down from master to master for seven generations. I also have added many points according to my understanding. The book is very valuable, and I am giving it to you to represent your successorship."

"If the book is such an important thing, you had better keep it," Shoju replied. "I received your Zen without writing and am satisfied with it as it is."

"I know that," said Mu-nan. "Even so, this work has been carried from master to master for seven generations, so you may keep it as a symbol of having received the teaching. Here."

The two happened to be talking before a brazier. The instant Shoju felt the book in his hands he thrust it into the flaming coals. He had no lust for possessions.

Mu-nan, who never had been angry before, yelled: "What are you doing!"

Shoju shouted back: "What are you saying!"

pause

In modern times a great deal of nonsense is talked about masters and disciples, and about the inheritance of a master's teaching by favorite pupils, entitling them to pass the truth on to their adherents. Of course Zen should be imparted in this way, from heart to heart, and in the past it was really accomplished. Silence and humility reigned rather than profession and assertion. The one who received such a teaching kept the matter hidden even after twenty years. Not until another discovered through his own need that a real master was at hand was it learned that the teaching had been imparted, and even then the occasion arose quite naturally and the teaching made its way in its own right. Under no circumstances did the teacher even claim "I am the successor of So-and-so." Such a claim would prove quite the contrary.

http://gawker.com/zen-koans-explained-what-are-you-doing-what-are-you-1599816268

runningstream

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
i see you as being a totally cool cucumber Jahn  :)

erik

« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2015, 05:32:31 AM »
It is important to take the understanding that has been discovered during this meditation practice out into our lives. This understanding needs to move beyond our meditation cushion to be a real experience. Friend, Enemy, Stranger has a 'feel good factor' that puts us in danger of becoming satisfied with the comfortable feeling of equanimity discovered through the practice.

erik

« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2015, 05:33:53 AM »
Our view is the basis of all our expectations of life, our interpretations of circumstances, and our responses to the experiences we encounter in our lives. Our view governs how we are as people in the world and causes us to create an inter-penetrating network of reference points-that is, things that support our view of the way we think things are.

erik

« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2015, 05:35:18 AM »
Much is said of 'devotion' in Tibetan Buddhist circles. The general idea is that you're supposed to have it. If you don't have it, there's no way forward. Because of this, many people try to have it without having it having them.

erik

« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2015, 08:02:02 PM »
In sitting meditation, we experience emptiness directly as the simultaneous absence of thought and presence of awareness. We experience form as the thought and sensation which arise from the condition of non-thought. We experience non-duality as the nature of Mind in which thought and the absence of thought are no longer mutually exclusive – they have the same taste.

erik

« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2015, 08:03:28 PM »
We sing the mantra of Padmasambhava in three different ways for differing reasons vis-à-vis their effect on the rTsa rLung system. Four contrasting qualities of sound are used in the singing: hard and soft; loud and quiet; fast and slow; high and low. Once the subtlety of the changes in quality of the sound are mastered, the singing of the mantra becomes a powerful experience and a valuable tool in terms of practising with the different characteristics of our own energy.

erik

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2015, 08:06:45 PM »
The manifestations of who we are in terms of our behaviour in the world and our relationship with our environment, create themselves out of the view of nonduality, out of the experience of the indivisibility of emptiness and form. Hence our practice affects the nature of tangible manifestation, and the nature of our physicality also becomes a manifestation of view.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
In sitting meditation, we experience emptiness directly as the simultaneous absence of thought and presence of awareness.

This is my practice in a nutshell. The two must coexist. At first I practice each separately, along with relaxation, on the top, in, out of breath, respectively. After a suitable period, the absence of thought and presence of awareness melt together - that is the state I seek to deepen and extend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk