Author Topic: HMCS Quadra  (Read 425 times)

Ke-ke wan

HMCS Quadra
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:47:57 AM »
As some of you may already know,  Jakob has left for a two week vacation with his Sea Cadets Core.    He left on Friday Morning,  flew (by himself)  to Winnipeg where he met hundrds of Cadets and hung at the Winnipeg Cadet base overnight.  He flew from Winipeg MB to Comox BC yesterday and arrived at HMCS Quadra last night.   

So far he seems to be enjoying himself,  he's called twice and sounds happy and excited,  if very very tired already.   But Sunday is there relax day where they have no drill and get to sleep in till 11 am if they like.   I know he is going to enjoy his time at Cadet Camp,   sailing and doing drill and learning discipline,  self control,  respect among many other things.   I miss him,  but this is such a great opportunity that I am so happy he has decided to take it.

He's thinking now that he wants a career in the Navy and will be attending the Navy College when he is old enough.  I am so proud of him,  at 12 for looking ahead to his furutre.  I can certainly say when I was his age,  I had other things on my mind.

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gcr4uxSsUzg/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gcr4uxSsUzg"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gcr4uxSsUzg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Gcr4uxSsUzg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Ke-ke wan

Re: HMCS Quadra
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »
A little bit about HMCS Quadra at Comox on Vancouver Island:

HMCS Quadra is situated on Goose Spit in Comox Harbour, BC, on Vancouver Island. It was former RN naval dock, established as a Sea Cadet training camp in 1952 and commissioned as HMCS Quadra in 1956.  I was hospitalized for an operation while in Naden and was scheduled for a second one prior to my release from the RCN.  With all my new found "expertise" as a motor boat coxswain on the Athabaskan, what better place to send me while waiting around.  What a life.... cruising around the harbour forever ready to rescue any any cadet that happened to tip his dinghy.  If they had offered me an extended stay up there I might have signed on again.  ;-)

I have no photos from Quadra but the picture etched in my mind of how I almost sunk my "command" brings a smile to this day. A Canadian frigate (I can't recall the name)  stopped for a visit and anchored in the harbour. There were tours scheduled for the cadets but the first order of business was to take the officers (RCN and Sea Cadet) from Quadra to the ship for tea and crumpets or whatever it is they do in the wardroom.  The ship was anchored to the right of the jetty with her bow facing the jetty.  The accommodation ladder was over the  ship's starboard side so my plan was to go straight out from the jetty make a U turn to starboard and tie up port side to.   

Standing tall with whistle in my mouth, going full ahead, I started into my U turn.  I tooted for the stoker reduce to slow ahead.  "hmmm" I thought, "this is going to a little tight".  As the landing on the bottom of the accommodation ladder drew closer I was having a few thoughts that I might have not taken a wide enough turn and I might hit the ladder. I became fully convinced of it when the two officers on the top of the ladder jumped back to the safety of the ship's upper deck.   

Within a few feet of tearing the ladder off of the ship I disregarded navy protocol of tooting instructions to the stoker, poked my head under the canopy and very quietly whispered, "FULL !&!%#$ SPEED ASTERN".  I still had the tiller full over to port and with the prop going full astern, the cutter shuddered,  the bow lifted a bit out of the water, came to starboard and the stern went to port. When forward movement stopped, I stopped engine and the cutter sat motionless right alongside the landing of the ladder and directly in line with the opening between the cutter's two canopies. The bowman simply used the boathook to keep us from drifting.  As my passengers boarded the frigate the senior officer, an RCN Lt. Cdr turned and said, "Thank you Cox'n and well done.  Pick us up at 1700."

I replied "Aye aye, sir" but I knew that I would be off duty and I was going for a cold relaxing beer. To this day I have no idea how this impending disaster was averted so I will just chalk it up to excellent seamanship ;-).

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:53:39 AM »

I sent Jakob with a camera,  so am hoping he will take (a lot of!)  some pictures for us!

http://www.cadets.ca/cstc/quadra/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:46:54 PM by Celesta »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:56:15 AM »
That really is an awesome opportunity, L!  I never thought about it before, but I'm not aware of anything comparable for the kids down here.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:36:13 AM »
I'm sure he'll be having lots of fun!  :-*
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:26:20 AM »
I'm sure he'll be having lots of fun!  :-*

He already is!   Sunday is game day,  so the Cadets get to sleep in till 11 am and have no drill.  They play games and have fun all day long.   The rest of the week,  though it's up at 5 am,  beds made to specs and drill,  training and various activities throughout the day.  There will be sailing on  the ocean a couple of times, as well,  which will be cool for Jake as he has only ever sailed on Lake Superior so far.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 08:50:53 AM »
Jakob telephoned me yesterday so proud of himself.   He made his bed perfectly on the very first try and the Commanding Officers were very impressed.  Yay!  He was so happy he even took a picture of his perfectly made bed.  I can't wait to see!

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
correct bed making is a big thing in all the forces. good on him for getting it right first go.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »
correct bed making is a big thing in all the forces. good on him for getting it right first go.

Well,  he has been making his bed nearly every morning,  though not to these standards obviously,  since he was almost 2 years old, so maybe he had a good jump start on this.   

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 07:19:26 AM »
An aside here:

Today Jakob turns thirteen and he is spending his birthday away from home at Quadra.  I hope he is having fun and I am planning to telephone him later.  I also hope that the Officers at HMCS Quadra will let me speak to him-- the phone number is  to be used only for  official business.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:27:26 AM by Celesta »

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 07:37:31 AM »
Happy Birthday, Jakob!   :-*
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Jahn

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:53 AM »
Thirteen is really a great age! Great adventure in the Navy too. The Very Best regards to Jakob from me!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:49:32 AM by Jamir »

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »
Happy Birthday, Jakob!   :-*

Thanks Daph,  I now have somewhat of a sense of what you went through letting Alon go away on his own.   Though admittedly our situation is different than yours was--  this is a short stint and I know he's coming home in about a week.  But there's something oddly bittersweet about watching my son grow up.   I'm proud of him and happy to see him turning into such a lovely young man,  but at the same time,  my heart aches just a little bit for my little baby boy.

Some more info on the General Training Course at HMCS Quadra:

The mission of the Cadet Program is to contribute to the development and preparation of youth for the transition to adulthood, enabling them to meet the challenges of modern society, through a dynamic community-based program.

A relevant, credible and proactive youth development organization, offering the program of choice for Canada’s youth, preparing them to become the leaders of tomorrow through a set of fun, challenging, well-organized and safe activities.

While the summer months might be quiet at the "ship", they are certainly busy for many of the Sea Cadets of RCSCC Quinte. Each summer, many cadets attend training camps that range from 2 to 6 weeks in length at one of the Summer Training Centres within Canada. Even Personnel and Senior Cadets are away from the Ship as they participate in these training camps as instructors and Staff Cadets. Training centres for RCSCC Quinte include: HMCS ACADIA - Clementsport, Nova Scotia, HMCS ONTARIO - Kingston, Ontario and HMCS QUADRA - Comox, British Columbia

It is during this time, that our cadets enter into one of the four cadet program trade groups: Sailing, Music, Boatswain or Gunnery. Along with the skills required for their trade, they develop leadership qualities and have the opportunity to develop or rekindle friendships with other sea cadets from across Canada.

Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Summer Training Centre
Comox BC

ACCOMMODATIONS/SERVICES
11. Trainees are housed in barrack style accommodations with 40 cadets in each building wing.
All bedding is provided. Rounds are carried out on a daily basis with Captain’s Rounds being
conducted twice throughout the summer to ensure the cadets are keeping their living quarters neat
and tidy. Cleanliness of living spaces is a very important aspect of QUADRA life.
MEALS
12. Meals are prepared by qualified staff and served cafeteria style. Cadets are provided three
meals a day plus an evening snack (kye). All meals are supervised. The menu is pre-planned to
provide a well balanced diet and menu items vary, allowing cadets a choice of dishes.
13. Please be aware that CF Food Services do not offer allergen-free foods or food
preparation conditions. CF Food Services do not have the resources and cannot cater to
individual diner’s food restrictions by ensuring avoidance of certain ingredients in food
preparation. It remains the individual’s responsibility to successfully monitor their food intake to
avoid an allergen.

DAILY ROUTINE
33. The daily routine and training schedules will relate to the Cadet Program Update and will
be published at QUADRA.
34. Sunday routine is wakey-wakey at 1000 hours with brunch scheduled for 1030-1300 hours.
Normal daily routine commences at 1300 hours.

FITNESS
35. HMCS QUADRA is a physically active training establishment. Cadets are strongly
encouraged to engage in some conditioning prior to arrival. This should reduce some of the time lost
due to aches and sprains encountered when unused muscles are vigorously exercised during the first
days aboard QUADRA. A high level of physical activity commences when cadets arrive onboard.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:07:37 AM by Celesta »

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:13:40 AM »

These Sea Cadet Training Vessels (YAGs)were photographed at anchor in Prideaux Haven, Desolation Sound, on the British Columbia coast during the 1982 annual Seamanship Training Exercise.

This photo shows the spit road, most of the lower camp of HMCS QUADRA, and the lagoon, with Baynes Sound and the Vancouver Island Mountains in the background.

Hovercraft during a visit to QUADRA. The Boat Storage building is visible at the right.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:26:00 AM by Celesta »

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 08:27:10 AM »
Thirteen is really a great age! Great adventure in the Navy too. The Very Best regards to Jakob from me!

Thanks,  Jamir!  I'll pass it along.
 :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk