Author Topic: Around the Globe in Real Time  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Around the Globe in Real Time
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 12:42:44 PM »
This digging into the ocean floor to make islands seems like a really bad idea. We dig into Her enough with drilling for oil and the like. Already we're probably pushing the buck on this. I wonder how folks can get contracts to be able to do this. I mean, how can you 'own' a piece of the ocean floor, for example? Am I missing something? Makes you wonder.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
Part of the problem there is that seismologists are in disagreement as to the dynamics of it all. How do faultlines affect each other? There are differing schools of thought.

But I think it should have been enough of an eye-opener per the 2004 Sumatra quake/tsunami, that the earth wobbled the tiniest bit ... and that there were reports of sensations felt all over the world.

Yeah no doubt, and it wobbled enough on axis to not 'reset' itself too. That was the big one, and its only a matter of time for another one, unfortunately.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
Officials at Dubai Waterfront, the company managing the project, say vibro-compacting of the island's reclaimed materials is now underway and is expected to last 18 months. The method puts the placed material under enormous pressure and prepares the soil to levels which allow building work to start.

Eight metres of water has 11-12 tonnes of weight, which compresses the ocean floor.

Can't be a good thing.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 12:52:22 PM »
This digging into the ocean floor to make islands seems like a really bad idea. We dig into Her enough with drilling for oil and the like. Already we're probably pushing the buck on this. I wonder how folks can get contracts to be able to do this. I mean, how can you 'own' a piece of the ocean floor, for example? Am I missing something? Makes you wonder.

They are rich, rich, rich.   The owner of the project is the Prince of Dubai.   :-\

But I agree,  it is a very bad idea. 

The Natives say that "Indians make little holes"  and they are right to do so with respect and giving back when they take. 

Also in a book I am reading about alchemy and plants and herbs,  it is suggested that whenever one makes a hole to remove something from the Earth,  one is to replace- refill the hole with an offering to appease the spirits.   

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
They are rich, rich, rich.   The owner of the project is the Prince of Dubai.   :-\

But I agree,  it is a very bad idea. 

The Natives say that "Indians make little holes"  and they are right to do so with respect and giving back when they take. 

Also in a book I am reading about alchemy and plants and herbs,  it is suggested that whenever one makes a hole to remove something from the Earth,  one is to replace- refill the hole with an offering to appease the spirits.   

Yeah whats he gonna put in big holes in the ocean floor to appease the spirits. Seems like it'd have to be a BIG offering for that one!

Plus I wonder what about all the aqua life and how they're affected

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
You know what's kind of exciting, though?  I think about Emily Dickinson in the 19th century, isolated in her little house, observing her world... She never got to see these satellite pictures. Or pictures of the galaxy, for that matter.

Now the question is .. will this expanded awareness make us better global citizens? (But that's more in the realm of "We're Stuffed", probably.)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 01:24:56 PM »
You know what's kind of exciting, though?  I think about Emily Dickinson in the 19th century, isolated in her little house, observing her world... She never got to see these satellite pictures. Or pictures of the galaxy, for that matter.

True. Emily was more of an inner journeyer though. Maybe she didnt really care about such things. Kinda sad really.

Now the question is .. will this expanded awareness make us better global citizens? (But that's more in the realm of "We're Stuffed", probably.)

I think its making people more aware than before. Look how many more folks than say a decade ago, are now seeing say, global warming as a 'real' threat, and the ozone layer, greenhouse gases, paying attn to earthquakes and other things. There is definitely much more attn to treating the planet better.

I suppose it falls into two categories on this, those who care about future generations of humans, and those who dont. And those who care about future generations lack self-importance (or at least most), and are willing to make some changes in their lifestyle, so human race can go on. Those who only care about themselves, and are not willing to give up a few things for future generations. Thats what it comes down to, bottom line. Least I think so.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »

Strange how beautiful they are from above.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
Typhoon Melor eventually fizzled into a tropical depression and moved eastward into California for a day, as a bad storm which laid 3+ inches of rain. Good news for drought-ridden California, but I've never observed that eastward jaunt before. 
Another Western Pacific Typhoon is forming for the very wet and soaked Phillipines. The 22nd WP storm of the season.

Also, I've never seen before so many Eastern Pacific tropical storms in one season. Baja has taken the brunt a few times, and here is the current spinner:

~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »
Some great footage of the terrible beauty of Melor:

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/edC3cqHGz8M/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/edC3cqHGz8M"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/edC3cqHGz8M&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/edC3cqHGz8M&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

A video of Melor's eyewall-replacement, which for some reason fascinates me (ok, I'm a weather-geek  :P ):

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/m5SkiOmUS1k/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m5SkiOmUS1k"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5SkiOmUS1k&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/m5SkiOmUS1k&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:01:24 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »
Typhoon Melor eventually fizzled into a tropical depression and moved eastward into California for a day, as a bad storm which laid 3+ inches of rain. Good news for drought-ridden California, but I've never observed that eastward jaunt before. 
Another Western Pacific Typhoon is forming for the very wet and soaked Phillipines. The 22nd WP storm of the season.

Also, I've never seen before so many Eastern Pacific tropical storms in one season. Baja has taken the brunt a few times, and here is the current spinner:

It will be interesting, and I hope I live to see it, when the meteorologists and the geologists and the oceanographers all get together and confirm that each area affects the other. The Pacific Rim is a great example of the unity of the forces, in my view -- which is not validated scientifically at this time.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 03:35:38 AM »
<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_KjbHZL6NgQ/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_KjbHZL6NgQ"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KjbHZL6NgQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_KjbHZL6NgQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KjbHZL6NgQ&feature=sub
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 09:39:01 PM »
It is incredibly hot here for this time of year - we sometimes get this in January, as a heat wave, but never before in Nov.

there are hires right across the south and west of NSW and in South Australia. But we are not too bad here. The grass is still short - a problem in itself. But I have just talked to Moose - the brother who works the property - and asked him to do something about the plastic pipes that come out of the ground in the paddock. In a fire, they would burn and we'd all be out of water.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 02:36:36 AM »
Oh dear!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Jahn

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 05:31:52 AM »
Just noticed today about the fire problem in Aust.

"Never before in Nov" - that is perhaps the new climate order?

For a week now we have had temps between +7 to +10 degrees C (45-50 F). The coldest week this autumn was the week when we returned from the Power journey in mid october, then it was some ice on the car in the morning but it got warmer during the day. All this warm air make some flowers start to blossom. My brother showed me a yellow rose on his patio the other weekend!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk