Author Topic: The purpose of existence  (Read 150 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
The purpose of existence
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »
Bennett gives some interesting insights to Gurdjieff's approach to our purpose in life.

Firstly he distinguishes between those who have 'real being' and those who are phantoms. Thus he also distinguishes between the 'real world' and simple existence. This is what Gurdjieff was all about. He strove to assist people in achieving real being.

"Our trouble is that we demand the status and privileges to which a real man is entitled without having paid the price of becoming true men and women."

He describes the problem that entered humanity's mind through such ideas as The Rights of Man.

"We do not take in the full significance of the assertion that the nobility of man consists in what he can become and in what he can give and not in what he is and what he has."

"Ever since man's attitude towards life has been founded upon rights rather than obligations, we have lost touch with the sense and purpose of our existence."

We have the right to be happy, the right to respect, the right to be treated equal, and the right to enjoy the things others enjoy. I am constantly confronted with the idea that we can demand acknowledgement by mere fact of our being alive. This has been brought about by a long struggle of equality before the law, and before God. That, skills aside, as a person we are each as worthy as the anyone else.

I want to say more on this later, but the idea that first one has to earn those rights, and the idea that we discover real meaning in our life when we focus on our obligations - on what we can do to serve our purpose in being alive, instead of getting what we feel we deserve for no reason whatsoever: these ideas lie at the basis of right alignment.

To discover our purpose in being alive, we have to see that we are here for a purpose, as is everything. It is not what is 'our' purpose, but what purpose we can serve. We tend to see purpose as some kind of personal ownership - "I have a purpose, and you don't". Instead of seeing purpose as a job - of 'fulfilling' our purpose.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Re: The purpose of existence
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »
Ah, what humble creatures we would be.. I look forward to more on this.
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
Over the years, I searched for "my purpose in life". All the literature I came across was about "finding your purpose". I got sick of it for no matter how hard I tried, nothing lit up a light for me and I started feeling that I wasn't spiritual enough since I didn't have a purpose. Eventually I gave up the search and instead focused on living a purposefull life. I made my life have purpose. Nothing dramatic; just made my own purpose. Still doing that.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
I made my life have purpose.

Exactly - it's all about burying the dog deeper.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
I want to say more on this later, but the idea that first one has to earn those rights, and the idea that we discover real meaning in our life when we focus on our obligations - on what we can do to serve our purpose in being alive, instead of getting what we feel we deserve for no reason whatsoever: these ideas lie at the basis of right alignment.

To discover our purpose in being alive, we have to see that we are here for a purpose, as is everything. It is not what is 'our' purpose, but what purpose we can serve. We tend to see purpose as some kind of personal ownership - "I have a purpose, and you don't". Instead of seeing purpose as a job - of 'fulfilling' our purpose.

Hi Michael ... Have you said more on this somewhere?
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:08:56 AM »

LOL Read his book! :0 j/k

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
LOL Read his book! :0 j/k

You mean I don't get it for free anymore ;)

ok .... :(

:-*
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »

Yes there is a lot about purpose, in various approaches, in my book.
But interestingly enough, this specific angle is not covered overtly there, because it is a bit more an advanced idea.

The first step is to realise our lack of purpose in life - much of my book is to activate that realisation.
The second step is to explore what is a personal purpose, and that is also covered in the book, in various ways.

The third step is to explore what our purpose is - not what we want, but what is required of us.
It is easier to see this in humanity as a whole. Humanity has been preoccupied with purposes of survival and material power or money. That is the nub of most incentive promotions - you can make money and do what you want etc.

The idea that humanity is on earth for a reason - that it has a role to play in a much bigger picture - has largely been totally ignored (an interesting discussion in itself). I have heard that the only religion to address this was the Zoroastrian, but of course it was always present in the old tribal societies.

So long as humanity is only focused on it's personal or species limited desires, it will always be in trouble. Only when it sees it has to fulfil a purpose beyond itself, will it begin to align itself with correct evolution. This is what Steiner called the Lucifernian deception.

And so with each of us individually. Only when we acknowledge we have to fit within a purpose that is beyond our personal wishes, will be begin to grow straight. This is a non-ego purpose. Ask not what the world can do for us, but what we can do for it - why we came here in the first place.

This is the difference between a young soul who seeks only fun, and an older soul who realises it has to get a job, to knuckle down and support a family.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
I have heard that the only religion to address this was the Zoroastrian, but of course it was always present in the old tribal societies.
Interesting religion. I'd never heard of it before. Reminded me of christian religions, then i read this ... "It is believed that key concepts of Zoroastrian eschatology and demonology have had influence on the Abrahamic religions.On the other hand, Zoroastrianism itself inherited ideas from other belief systems and, like other "practiced" religions, accommodates some degree of syncretism." from wiki ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism ...

found this interesting as well ... "Manichaeism equated evil with matter and good with spirit, and was therefore particularly suitable as a doctrinal basis for every form of asceticism and many forms of mysticism. Zoroastrianism, on the other hand, rejects every form of asceticism, has no dualism of matter and spirit (only of good and evil), and sees the spiritual world as not very different from the natural one, and the word "paradise" (via Latin and Greek from Avestan pairi.daeza, literally "stone-bounded enclosure") applies equally to both."

"no dualism of matter and spirit" ... our purpose extends into the spiritual from our earthly being ... heaven on earth .... just thinking outloud.

And so with each of us individually. Only when we acknowledge we have to fit within a purpose that is beyond our personal wishes, will be begin to grow straight. This is a non-ego purpose.
This i'm recognizing.

Ask not what the world can do for us, but what we can do for it - why we came here in the first place.
Spirit knocks on our door time after time ... I know sometimes I've missed the 'doorbell'.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:01 AM »
Great thread, thanks to all. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk