Psychic and Healer.
Light

Author Topic: Cornering Ego into a Spiritual Path  (Read 31690 times)

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
Re: Cornering Ego into a Spiritual Path
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
Sorry, if i'm interrupting you two :)  ... power posters!!!  You guys have posted 4 posts while I'm composing my measley one ... anyway...  ;D

ego |ˈēgō|
noun ( pl. egos)
a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance : a boost to my ego.
• Psychoanalysis the part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity. Compare with id and superego .
• an overly high opinion of oneself : some major players with really big egos.
• Philosophy (in metaphysics) a conscious thinking subject.

Ok ... I know most people don't like definitions ... i don't care for them much myself.  But this one helped me understand "ego".  I see two parts ... one is the "self-importance", the naughty "me, me" part, and the other is the "self-esteem", the more humble, open-minded part.

So stroke your ego ... the positive part.  After all, we're stuck with it until we die (or maybe even after .. who really knows?), right?

"There is a point at which everything becomes simple and there is no longer any question of choice, because all you have staked will be lost if you look back. Life's point of no return."
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
Kris,

Do you believe you're free? Im just curious.

Yes ... he's free, and he's also easy  :-*
"There is a point at which everything becomes simple and there is no longer any question of choice, because all you have staked will be lost if you look back. Life's point of no return."
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline Definitive Journey

• Tributary
    • Las Vegas Massage Therapist Kris Kelley
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »
I didnt say from. Just said, free.

Eh, this is one of those language thingies.....What did Uber call it??  Binary language?

"Free" reminds me of the words:  "Improvement," or "Believe."

Am I Free?  Am I Improving?  Do I believe?

Sure.

8)

I'm almost perfect.

Eh?

z

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:58:01 PM by Zamurito »
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Endless Whisper

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »

Eh, this is one of those language thingies.....What did Uber call it??  Binary language?

"Free" reminds me of the words:  "Improvement," or "Believe."

Am I Free?  Am I Improving?  Do I believe?

Sure.

8)

I'm almost perfect.

Eh?

z

Okay, good point. Free is one of those terms which when you hear it, it means something different to everyone.

I can say I live in a free country, in that respect, I suppose I could think Im free. But really Im not, cause there are rules, and I can 'keep my freedom' as long as I obey the rules.

I break them, the law, the price is my freedom. I lose it, if I break the rules society, government, set in and called 'laws.'

In the spiritual, there are laws, too. The tricky part is, even what those laws are. Finding if they exist or not. Heaven or hell, reincarnated into a gnat. Hell or demon realm of the Bardo. There appears to be consenquences for actions, even thoughts, in the spiritual. I have to figure 'out' the system, and still work within the system. So, am I free, if I have to work within the system of some design, whether it be an omniscent, omnipresent, superconscious of an entity, or simply spiritual and universal 'laws.'

Samsara - if I want to be 'free' of samsara I have to get nirvana - thats my ticket off the wheel. But im still in a system, I have to work in. The only thing, really, I assess, we can be 'free' of, is free of that which keeps us trapped, hooked, craving things which keep us bound. Until we can cease all that, we're not free. We crave, so ego creates an ID, urging us to 'do this and that' or 'be this and that' cause its trying to get satisfied. Its a cup with a hole in it. So to myself, until we're completely free of all that, we're not really 'free.'

Totally my opinion tho. Maybe.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:25:26 PM by Endless Whisper »

Endless Whisper

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:25 PM »
Sorry, if i'm interrupting you two :)  ... power posters!!!  You guys have posted 4 posts while I'm composing my measley one ... anyway...  ;D

ego |ˈēgō|
noun ( pl. egos)
a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance : a boost to my ego.
• Psychoanalysis the part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity. Compare with id and superego .
• an overly high opinion of oneself : some major players with really big egos.
• Philosophy (in metaphysics) a conscious thinking subject.

Ok ... I know most people don't like definitions ... i don't care for them much myself.  But this one helped me understand "ego".  I see two parts ... one is the "self-importance", the naughty "me, me" part, and the other is the "self-esteem", the more humble, open-minded part.

So stroke your ego ... the positive part.  After all, we're stuck with it until we die (or maybe even after .. who really knows?), right?

I love words and definitions. Post all the dictionary stuff you want. I see words within words, so doesnt bother me. Im symbolically obsessed with tarot art, mandalas, and with words anagrams.

I may have to disagree with the mediator between the conscious and unconscious. But thats cause its freud. Jung, subconscious is the 'mediator' between the conscious and unconscious. Ego is located in the conscious mind, but keeps things very narrow in the realm. Its a dot within a vast expanse of consciousness. It looks through the AP lens, and views the world. The world isnt really distorted (well, maybe a little), the lens gets dirty cause ego keeps control over it, like fingerprints on a lens, it keeps moving it here and there, dirtying the lens and either taking 'in' images and when in mind, perceiving them oddly, or projecting itself onto the world in various ways.

But to killing the ego, in reality, you can't in the cut off manner, you can only transform, then transcend the ego. Transform first - then transcend. We have to do the 'work' of transforming it, because we still learn about our little ticks, quirks, temperments, face things like fear, anger, love, hate, greed, passion, desire, compassion, resentment, despair, wonderment, awe, etc.

Are we stuck with it, yes - but in its present condition? Like you said, 'stuck with it, until we die...' You said it, not me :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:26:30 PM by Endless Whisper »

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 10:30:03 PM »
Okay, good point. Free is one of those terms which when you hear it, it means something different to everyone.

I can say I live in a free country, in that respect, I suppose I could think Im free. But really Im not, cause there are rules, and I can 'keep my freedom' as long as I obey the rules.

I break them, the law, the price is my freedom. I lose it, if I break the rules society, government, set in and called 'laws.'

In the spiritual, there are laws, too. The tricky part is, even what those laws are. Finding if they exist or not. Heaven or hell, reincarnated into a gnat. Hell or demon realm of the Bardo. There appears to be consenquences for actions, even thoughts, in the spiritual. I have to figure 'out' the system, and still work within the system. So, am I free, if I have to work within the system of some design, whether it be an omniscent, omnipresent, superconscious of an entity, or simply spiritual and universal 'laws.'

Samsara - if I want to be 'free' of samsara I have to get nirvana - thats my ticket off the wheel. But im still in a system, I have to work in. The only thing, really, I assess, we can be 'free' of, is free of that which keeps us trapped, hooked, craving things which keep us bound. Until we can cease all that, we're not free. We crave, so ego creates an ID, urging us to 'do this and that' or 'be this and that' cause its trying to get satisfied. Its a cup with a hole in it. So to myself, until we're completely free of all that, we're not really 'free.'

Totally my opinion tho. Maybe.

I think true freedom comes, or maybe "starts" when we detach ourselves from fear.  All of these things you mention ... trapped, hooked, crave ... they do keep us bound ... bound out of fear.
- Dag Hammarskjold

Endless Whisper

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
I think true freedom comes, or maybe "starts" when we detach ourselves from fear.  All of these things you mention ... trapped, hooked, crave ... they do keep us bound ... bound out of fear.

Which is why Fear is numero uno of the Four Enemies, and Shadow is the first archetype to face (main interpersonal one), when working toward Jung's individuation of self.

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 10:45:12 PM »

Only if you Fear those "systems", or feel confined to "follow" those laws.
- Dag Hammarskjold

Endless Whisper

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »
Only if you Fear those "systems", or feel confined to "follow" those laws.

Do you believe there's universal laws though? Not talking morality - thats more human impressions of laws. But basic, universal laws.

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 11:08:19 PM »
Do you believe there's universal laws though? Not talking morality - thats more human impressions of laws. But basic, universal laws.

Define universal laws.
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline Definitive Journey

• Tributary
    • Las Vegas Massage Therapist Kris Kelley
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »

<<<butts his booty on in here>>

Of course there's Universal laws.  How does one perceive them though?  What we look at, see, or what 'is' may be completely different from what's perceived as such...

z

<<butts his booty back out>>
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 11:30:33 PM »

Of course there's Universal laws.  How does one perceive them though?  What we look at, see, or what 'is' may be completely different from what's perceived as such...

z

Which makes me think my answer would be ... No, there are no universal laws.
- Dag Hammarskjold

Endless Whisper

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 11:37:23 PM »
Which makes me think my answer would be ... No, there are no universal laws.

Okay, lets begin with one at a time:

Law of Attraction. Does it exist, yes or no? Im not talking like we discussed, the book of secrets sense. Just basic, law of attraction. Stripped down, no dryer sheet - static, attracts fuzzies.

Believe?

Endless Whisper

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 11:39:08 PM »

Of course there's Universal laws.  How does one perceive them though?  What we look at, see, or what 'is' may be completely different from what's perceived as such...

z

LOL. Yes, I agree there's universal laws. Tao symbol is a hint of them :)

Endless Whisper

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
Oh shit, Michael's gonna freak out when he gets back. Hanuman's gonna go ape-shit! Good discussions, nothing worthy of hand in the fog, but all that reading to make sure we're all being good boys and girls.... LMAO!