Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 30927 times)

erik

Ukraine
« Reply #1920 on: March 05, 2014, 01:58:33 AM »
As I thought. Well come on Juhani, what's going on there?

Sorry, I am engaged with it in real time and will write about it when there is more time.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #1922 on: March 15, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
I have been watching it in the press, but I have to say it is very weird. And so are the Malaysians.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #1923 on: March 16, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
My take on Crimea.
Obviously we all know the place is full of Russian-loving people, who see their financial and cultural return to Russia as a boon.

Will the West act? no. Will Putin get away with it? yes. Will Putin push further into Ukraine? yes.

What is behind this aside from some obvious matters of history, gas and ethnicity? And what are the consequences? This, I haven't a clue. I can't believe Putin would do this without some larger complex scheme in mind, and what that all is, is beyond me. I would not like to be a Western loving Ukrainian?

Now we watch to see if Ukraine will use it's military to 'hold the line', which has already moved beyond Crimea.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #1924 on: March 16, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
MH370

Looks more to me like a very well planned hijack. I can't believe it crashed.

erik

Russian invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #1925 on: March 18, 2014, 03:18:10 AM »
My take on Crimea.
Obviously we all know the place is full of Russian-loving people, who see their financial and cultural return to Russia as a boon.

Will the West act? no. Will Putin get away with it? yes. Will Putin push further into Ukraine? yes.

What is behind this aside from some obvious matters of history, gas and ethnicity? And what are the consequences? This, I haven't a clue. I can't believe Putin would do this without some larger complex scheme in mind, and what that all is, is beyond me. I would not like to be a Western loving Ukrainian?

Now we watch to see if Ukraine will use it's military to 'hold the line', which has already moved beyond Crimea.

What we see in Ukraine, is a very serious development. The events began with Euromaidan where Ukrainians protested against the decision of their Russian-minded and unvbelievably corrupt president Yanukovich to not sign assiociation agreement with the EU. By now there is little doubt that Yanukovich was acting on direct orders from Moscow. He pretty much bankrupted Ukraine and weakend its defence forces dramatically. As Euromaidan culminated in deaths of nearly 100 people in one day, Yanukovich escaped to Russia.

Russia, fearing that Ukraine might join the European Union and push the Black Sea Fleet out of Crimea, sent in its special forces. They blockaded Ukrainian units in Crimea and assisted in preparation and execution of a phony and invalid referendum on 16 March. The outcome - close to 100% of voters wanting to secede Ukraine and join Russia - was to be expected.

Russia has been building up its forces in Crimea and the grouping comprises well over 20,000 troops. Simultaneously there are around 120,000 troops stationed at Ukraine's borders in high readiness to launch a full-scale offensive.

Ukraine has around 6,000 men in combat-capable units and today they declared mobilisation. In theory, Ukraine could mobilise up to 1 million men and arm them to their teeth, but their combat value would be low. Realistic figure of more or less combat-capable troops would be around 20,000-30,000.

In sum: at the end of February-beginning of March we have witnessed a first massive armed invasion and annexation of a territory of a European state since World War II. What Russia did - under the guise of protecting compatriots - is no different from how Hitler annexed Sudetenland in 1938. Perhaps, the only difference is that there was no Munich Conference beforehand.

The US, EU and many more states have refused to accept what Russia has done. Armed invasions and annexations of parts of states or whole states is a practice that has led to world wars. As of now, the US and EU are implementing a first round of sanctions. Russia is vulnerable - 52% of its economy is nothing but export of oil and natural gas. Lower the price of these commodities, and Russia may go bankrupt and fall apart - in the worst case scenario. It is that simple, really. So far, West has been rather moderate, but Russia itself has slapped some preventive economic sanctions on the EU and US.

Where this will develop to, is anybody's guess. Among Ukrainians anger is building. A brethren nation has invaded them and wants to dictate what Ukraine should and should not do. Imagine British invading Australia right now and you will get the same shock, incomprehension and utter feeling of anger and betrayal. Apparently, Putin wants Ukraine to stay out of the EU and remain economically enslaved to Russia. My friends tell me that anger in Ukraine is also aimed at their own present government that has shown lack of stamina and willingness to confront Russian in terms of brute force.

Ukrainians know how to fight. A military profession has been an honourable trade there for a long time and Ukrainians have shown their skills and stamina in the Soviet forces as well in various international operations. Troughout times they have contributed more officers than has been their fair share to the armies of the Russian Empire and Soviet Union. In the long-term, Russia does not stand a chance. They would be extremely hard-pressed to occupy a country with 46 million people who resist actively in military terms. Any attempt to do so would be disastrous for Russia.

However, there have been strong doubts regarding Putin's sense of reality and understanding of what Russia realistically could and could not do. In the worst case scenario, this might be the very beginning of the apocalypse Taimi so desired not so long ago.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:28:33 AM by erik »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #1926 on: March 18, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
I'm a bit confused about the oil and gas. I thought the EU was vulnerable to any cut off of these from Russia - that Russia could leverage the EU on this, more than the other way around.

erik

« Reply #1927 on: March 18, 2014, 08:55:01 AM »
I'm a bit confused about the oil and gas. I thought the EU was vulnerable to any cut off of these from Russia - that Russia could leverage the EU on this, more than the other way around.

Nope, it is the other way around. Russia is much more vulnerable to fluctuations of gas and oil profits. Russia's  budget is built on the assumption that the oil price would not drop below US$ 102/barrel. US opened its strategic reserve just for a while and the price dropped instantly to US$ 98/barrel.

Russia delivers about 30-35% of EU's oil and gas. That amount could be quite easily substituted by Gulf states or US and Canada. Considering that at stake is nothing less than stopping an unmitigated aggression in Europe, various options of hurting Russia mildly/severely are presently considered.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #1928 on: March 18, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
But they have only targeted a few individuals, not the economy as a whole. I can't see this is doing anything. If they were serious, they would have hit Russia harder. Looks like game over for Crimea, much to the delight of it's majority - pity help the rest.

and...
"A senior EU official warned on Monday that the EU's 28-member states and Ukraine could run out of gas by the end of October if Russia plays "energy politics" and cuts off supplies in the diplomatic war over the future of Crimea.

A survey of gas supplies in the EU, conducted in the wake of the Crimea crisis, found that the EU has 40bn cubic metres in its energy supplies – enough to last until the onset of winter."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:35:41 PM by Michael »

erik

Russian invasion of Crimea
« Reply #1929 on: March 18, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
But they have only targeted a few individuals, not the economy as a whole. I can't see this is doing anything. If they were serious, they would have hit Russia harder. Looks like game over for Crimea, much to the delight of it's majority - pity help the rest.

and...
"A senior EU official warned on Monday that the EU's 28-member states and Ukraine could run out of gas by the end of October if Russia plays "energy politics" and cuts off supplies in the diplomatic war over the future of Crimea.

A survey of gas supplies in the EU, conducted in the wake of the Crimea crisis, found that the EU has 40bn cubic metres in its energy supplies – enough to last until the onset of winter."

Bending/breaking Russia's will is a tricky task. It is not hard to hit the majority of population, but the experience with other dictatorships has shown that dictators do not give a damn and they can suppress considerable revolts.

Hence, one must go after the ones who rule the country. With people like Saddam and Moammar it is about a cruise missile into a bedroom window. With nuclear czar like Putin, it is about hitting him, his riches and his financiers. For example, arrested Ukrainian billionaire Firtash is considered responsible for about 1/4 of Putin's personal wealth. The scheme was simple: Russia officially sold gas to Ukraine at a price of US$400 for 1,000 cuboc metres. At the same time part of it was sold to Firtash at a price of US$ 260 who re-sold it to Ukrainian gov-t at a price of US$ 400. Large chunk of the price difference landed on Putin's personal bank account. Simple.

Meanwhile, Russia has tested its nuclear missiles, its TV news anchor threatened to convert US into a radioactive dust and we see many a features of Hitler's Germany and North Korea. NATO and US have already redeployed some forces closer to Russia, and as of now the anger and realisation of what Putin tries to do is only dawning on Europe. There is talk about permanent stationing of forces close to Russian borders - not unlike Germany during the Cold War.

EU is already looking for alternatives: http://euobserver.com/economic/123466
Alternatives will take their time to become effective: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/18/1283477/-US-Can-t-Frack-Europe-Free-of-Russian-Gas

It looks like Russia has an advantage now, but I would not hurry to see it this way. Today's news tell that events similar to Crimea seem to happen in Moldova. It all contributes to perception of Russia as an existential threat akin to the USSR. It all may result in a new Cold War. The latter was ideological and fear-driven rather than rational, and it destroyed the USSR. Moreover, there seems to be will in many captials to force Russia to stop and withdraw - assuming that if nothing is done, there might be a bigger conflict in near future.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:52:37 PM by erik »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #1930 on: March 18, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
But would you agree that the West has given up on Crimea remaining outside Russia?

erik

« Reply #1931 on: March 18, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »
But would you agree that the West has given up on Crimea remaining outside Russia?

"He (Obama) emphasised that Russia's actions were in violation of Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity and that, in coordination with our European partners, we are prepared to impose additional costs on Russia for its actions," the White House said in a summary of Obama's telephone call with Putin.
Obama suggested to Putin that the referendum was a sham carried out "under duress of Russian military intervention" and Washington and the international community would never accept the results, the White House said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/barack-obama-threatens-russia-with-sanctions-after-crimea-referendum-9196018.html

Yes, Russia controls Crimea physically, but it will pushed hard to withdraw with political, economic and other means. Immediate military confrontation may not be on agenda, but growing military pressure on Russia may come true. The US has already discussed cutting Russian banking system off of all and any dollar transactions. If implemented, that would be devastating.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:08:47 PM by erik »

erik

« Reply #1932 on: March 19, 2014, 01:02:36 AM »
Russia is rapidly becoming one sector economy.

Oil and gas revenues accounted for 52% of federal budget revenues and over 70% of total exports in 2012, according to PFC Energy.

http://www.eia.gov/countries/cab.cfm?fips=rs

erik

« Reply #1933 on: March 19, 2014, 02:48:19 AM »
Russians seem to have started assault on Ukrainian troops stationed in Crimea. First shots have been fired and there is at least one wounded.

http://inforesist.org/assault-photogrammetric-center-of-ukrainian-armed-forces-is-under-fire/?lang=en

Military facility in Simferopol, Crimea, Ukraine is being assaulted. This is photogrammetric center of Military Topography and Navigation Administration of Operating Procuring Headquarter of Ukrainian armed forces.

Russian snipers are working from windows of the houses close to the facility. According to our information one person was injured.dmytro tymchuk

16:30 Territory in the vicinity if the base is blocked. 2 ambulances and 2 police cars were allowed to the area of the base.

16:45 Back gates to the base are blocked by a truck bearing a Russian flag. Ukrainian officers and personnel are barricaded and are holding the defense in the technical quarters.

16:58 Ambulances were not allowed to enter the territory. Journalists are prevented from doing their duty.

erik

« Reply #1934 on: March 19, 2014, 06:58:53 AM »
Russian special forces stormed a photo facility of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. One Ukrainian was killed two seriously wounded. Ukrainian president issued an order to Ukrainian forces to open fire if attacked. Russians stopped their offensive (for now).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk